Today i had my first photo session with people which i hadnt known till

todays morning. i took my camera and we went to the garden. and what is the

worst i didnt know what to say, she just looked at me as if i should put her

in some postion. what is more she couldnt talk Lithuanian ( i am from

lithuania) so we had to speak english ( my english is not so good to express

everything)

we started shooting and almost all photos became unnatural, she looked

somewhow scared and couldnt nothing to do. i feel so stupid when i tried

explain what she suppose to do while she was just starring at me.

that was the worst time i have ever spend with my camera.

maybe you have felt somthing familiar? it would be very intresting to hear

your story? maybe it is odinary to have such a first photoshooting?

p.s sorry for all mistakes i have made in this paragraph.

think of the session as your creative joint project with the client. work with them to create a personal vision...don't be afraid to ask them to do something. i have spent time talking with clients about what they want and my instructor suggested we keep old fashion mags, sports mags and other publications as either tear sheets or a book...that way you and the subject can have a pictorial reference point. it becomes a feedback loop with your subject at that time. what i would like to do and what they expect out of the photo.MHO

Perhaps talking with your subject before meeting them to make the photographs would be a good idea, or at least talk for a few minutes before you start taking pictures. Explain your background and let them know it's a thing you want to do WITH them, and not TO them.<p>I will ask to meet inexperienced people for coffee days before the session and ask them to bring any photos they have that they like, or even ones that they don't like. If nothing else, it gives you a starting place to discuss what you want the photos you make together should look like, or not look like.<p>If you still get blank stares, stop the session, thank them for coming and then find someone with some intelligence to photograph... t

• 2 weeks later...
Collect magazine photos (fashion nmagazines are best or clothes catalogs) then go thru the pictures with your model, find out what they like what appeals to them. Use the photos as starting ideas for your own photos. You need to talk to your subject throughout the session. Try to keep positive, never say anything negative. Nver say 'that does not look good', instead say 'I think we can make this look better....'