Baby pictures - critiques requested

funkag

I'd really appreciate some critiques of my baby pictures:

(http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=734712).

I've never taken pictures of babies before, but now that my wife and I have one

(she's six days old!!), I would like to do a good job with the pictures.

All of the photos in the portfolio were taken with natural light (flash is

something else I have no experience with) and mostly with a 20D and 17-55 zoom

(and all exist as RAW files, so changes can easily be made).

Any suggestions/critiques/etc... would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Beautiful baby--always fun to have such an agreeable subject in the house :).

I personally don't care for shooting a baby from above (looks like she is laying on a bed or something), as I don't feel like it offers much in the way of showing newborns at their best. I also feel like this is a harsh way to see a baby--I want to see them more gentle--more tucked in and in control--not that "OMG--my arms are flying all over!!" look.

My favorite would be the one of her under a hospital blanket (2nd row, 2nd from right). I kind of wish there weren't so many hands all over her, because I just love, love her little hands with her hospital tags :). IMHO, a crop of this shot would be a beautiful baby portrait that any parent would cherish for a lifetime.

I think that the shooting a baby on a white (or light colored) blanket, with a white shirt on in natural light is a very hard task--Taking off her clothes, at least down to the diaper, and moving her to a different surface, and maybe on her tummy or side, would offer you a much better (and easier to work with frame). This would also show off her stump, and probably give you more time--as she would probably sit/sleep in this position longer and like it better.

A year ago last week, I was in a hospital bed with my own little doll--currently, that little doll is trying to eat my laptop cords--time flys! Enjoy your little one and take tons of pictures without worrying if every one of them is good :).

Congrats,

Lynsey

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably a little too late. But, I have shot a LOT of newborns and babies in the studio. If you have a boppy, these are great for laying the tiny babies on their side. (Put a blanket on top of the boppy to make a nicer backdrop.) You can also lay them on their belly when they can lift their head up for a tummy shot/close up. If the baby is too little to lift its head, place on tummy in the boppy with arms under baby's chin to prop up their head. These are really cute. A beanbag will work in place of a boppy. A couple of well placed pillows/blankets could work in a pinch.

Your shots will improve if you try to get down more on the baby's level as opposed to always shooting from above it. (Kneel down or lay on your belly and put baby on floor in front of you.) Cropping/Framing: it might work better to get the whole body or crop around the waistline instead of cropping out part of legs or feet.

My favorite newborn poses have mom or dad's hand in the frame holding a naked or diaper only baby. Also, I like the tiny toes with mom/dad's hands holding feet. Babies are fun to shoot and you will have plenty of time to learn with her. If you google studio or portrait photography, you can find lots of interesting baby poses.