family and friends). I would like a critique on some random photos I've taken

with my casual portraiture style. I always use natural lighting and think about

composition and depth of field. I am working on thinking in color. What I would

like is some general critiques of my work from this album:

<a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/AndreaHalsey/NewSummerShoot">Summer Photo

Shoot</a>

I have been asking around and I really want to know how my work compares to

other photographers in the same area and style. First, I will say I am a

perfectionist. I am one of those people who sees what others can do and I set my

goal above and beyond that. I don't know if you will see that in the above batch

of photos, but that is what I strive for. So all advice and critique will be

appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you all,

Andrea

My two favorites are:

The second one in the top row--

Here I especially like the composition, the spontaneous, unposed quality and the feeling of

movement.

The last one in the bottom row--

In this one the light across the face is perfect! With a subject like that, the lighting can

very easily have too abrupt a contrast on the two halves of the face.--that is to say that

lighting which is perfectly fine for another subject might look wrong on a portrait of a little

girl. Therefore I especially appreciate that in this photo there is just the right gradation of

light across the face so as to give it a three dimensional quality, yet the gradation is gentle

enough to be appropriate to the subject.

I agree with Ollie - there are several here I like but the second one in the top row has many of the features I would be looking for in an informal portrait of my own child - nicely blurred background to avoid distractions, movement and natural expression, even lighting on the child so no burned out noses or forehead, yet a hint of sunshine in the background to show it was a sunny day. So I would continue with that idea but give her more props to work with - get to know her, find out what interests her and get her doing something. For example in the one of her sitting at the table the table is an attractive prop but I find it a bit static - she is sitting doing nothing, which might work for a studio portrait, but here I feel you want a record of her enjoying her time outside.

You have found an excellent subject. It will be difficult to take a bad shot of that girl. The true test is when you get a subject you really need to work at to even get a good expression. There are several good photos there and you should be able to tell which ones they are yourself. Other people's opinions are not important unless you need it for self-affirmation.