Can someone please provide a breakdown of what resolutions is. Like screen

resolution, how exactly does that work? Dpi? Is 1024 the same size no matter

what? I just don't understand also how you can downsize and just throw all

that info away. All that digital stuff. Thanks, Anthony

Anthony,

That's quite a broad question, but I'll give it a shot...

So your image sensor is a certain number of pixels down and across (say 2100 by 3000 just picking random numbers). Now as far as screen resolution goes, your screen is also a certain number of pixels across. I'd say usually your screen is smaller by a certain factor in most scenarios unless you have a huge monitor and a tiny sensor (like a one megapixel). So to see individual pixels you need to zoom in on an image quite a bit.

Now dpi comes in when you want to print. You print to a given size like 4x6. Now a typical figure for dpi is 300 dpi (but you can go as low as 100 dpi for different sizes and there is a good bit to learn here). So 4x6 at 300dpi means your image size will be 1200 x 1800. So given our earlier sensor of 2100 x 3000, there is quite a bit of information to throw away.

I hope that makes sense...

Jason

I assumed you are talking about your display (i.e: monitor) screen since 1024 by 768 is a common resolution for a budget LCD monitor. Lets say your monitor is 13 inches wide (~width for a 17" monitor), then the DPI (dot per inche) is 1024/13 = 79 DPI. This is not a very high resolution monitor at all (hence budget). On the other hand, let say your display on the back of a DSLR also has a 1024 by 768 display (note: they don't, not yet, we all dream). And assume this super duper DSLR has a 3 inches wide display. The resolution will then be 1024/3 = 341 DPI. This is as high a resolution as most human could see. With this display, you properly don't need to zoom to tell if the picture is sharp or not and we may be doing more chimping then taking picture. Hope this help.