Your Top Wedding Rule

Learn how to use every single feature of your camera, so you can do the necessary quick

changes like One-shot to Servo, raise and lower iso, adjust relative flash output, etc. quickly

and 100% accurately in a fast moving situation.

Breathing and doing what comes natural is easier if your skills are honed to the point of

_being_ natural.

Don't forget to eat & drink!

I just shot my first wedding. Eventually I'll summarize the experience (primarily positive.) The best thing I did (and my assistant) was to eat enough food before the ceremony began. That way, we weren't hungry until everyone was eating dinner. (This B&G had requested no food/eating/table shots, so we got to eat dinner with the guests.)

DRINK WATER! Our ceremony & reception was outside in blinding sunlight. There were a few guests that understood my role and some of the stresses in it and brought me waters and sodas. If you're not that lucky, ask someone to grab something for you. There's nothing like trying to direct a wedding party of 20 with a dry mouth.

You're getting other good advice above. Good luck & have some fun!

Benjamin Bloom,

Eating before the event is always a good idea and here's why. You can never be sure if the food there is going to agree with you or not. I make it a point to never eat at a wedding event that I am shooting with the exception of water, bottled or otherwise. I have an allergy to MSG and many times before it happened to me (Chinese weddings). The B & G insisted that I took a break and sat down to eat, it is considered impolite if you refused.

At home we use no MSG in our food and the draw back of healthy eating is that the body's tolerance is reduced over time and I get in trouble usually at weddings where increased amounts of MSG are presumably used, especially in Shark Fin soups and alike. My lips would dry up within half an hour and the rest of the night would be greatly unconfortable and the condition usually lasts a day or two.

One thing I learned after doing my first wedding get a battery pack! That was like a night and day difference for me when using my external flash. If you don't have one and cannot get one by the wedding, use lots of fresh batteries, especially if the wedding is in a dark, poorly lit church.

As it was mentioned before, look for good lighting and capture the details. Have a good time with your bride and groom and their families. Eat a good meal that can sustain you for hours. Bring granola bars! :)

Relax and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...