Your Top Wedding Rule

I'm shooting my first wedding July 1 and want to get people's down and dirty 1-2

top words of advice.

FYI: I have two bodies (5D & 20D), 3 L series lenses, two speed lights, 20gigs

of memory, and an assistant...am I missing anything?

Thanks for your words of wisdom

Christina :)

p.s. Hi LeonP :)

Hey Cristina!

Be assertive - there are going to be people there with cameras (or drinks) that will get in the way. Politely but firmly ask them to move. A camera with a large lens and a bracket is typically all you need to get people to vacate.

Also make sure you make it clear that you need to take certain shots first - ie cutting of the cake so their speedlights don't interfere with yours.

You have some good stuff on your site so one word for everything details:

Details of the wedding: (gifts, favors, guest book, jewelry, tables, holding hands, flower grils with their baskets etc.)

Details of positioning: holding the flowers, stray hairs, feet, dress, hands, buttons on jackets.

Details of your camera: ISO setting, SS and aperture. When going from inside to out keep an eye on you settings and meter through the viewfinder if your not a big chimper like me.

<p>

Be much less concerned with your gear than with the moments and the people you are

attempting to capute. All the "L series lenses" and 5D's in the world don't mean squat if

you don't have a true understanding of light and if you don't know how to communicate

something with your images.

<p>

Always be looking for good natural light.

<p>

Have fun.

<p>

Don't take yourself too seriously.

<p>

Take your job very seriously.

<p>

There's other stuff, but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head.

Breathe slow, work quickly, take your time to correctly shoot each image, check your settings every few shots. Sometimes you will go to a different location & for a few shots & come back to orginal location & forget to change settings. Do not dress casual. Finally,,believe in yourself, be confident & professional, trust your equipment.

good luck !!

I'd suggest studying all your favorite images from other photographers and have a plan for

what you want to shoot during all the parts of the day. Also have backup plans because

things have a way of not going how you expect.

Ni,

I get the sense that you think by stating my gear that I'm relying on my gear to shoot the wedding for me instead of using my knowledge of light. I'm not worried about my skills as a photographer or understanding light.

I merely stated my equipment so I could avoid getting responses like 1. have an extra body 2. have low light glass, etc.

Thanks for your two cents though.

Christina

1. Stay flexible and calm. If you've never shot a wedding before, no matter how high your technical skills are, you may find yourself stressed or not sure what to do or how to respond to people and situations.

2. Smile a lot. Everything goes better when people perceive you to be confident, friendly, and in control (even if you're not).

lots of batteries, lots of flash cards, always checking settings and histogram.

unless you are using optical slaves (I doubt it), you should NOT be worrying about other people's speedlights messing up the pictures. it sounds nice, but totally untrue.

news photographers routinely work in packs, and they ALL have the same body (canon 1d Mk 2) and the same lens (usually 16-35L, 24-70L or 70-200L) and the same flash (canon 580EX), and there are literally dozens of flashes firing each SECOND inches away from each other, and they do just fine.

conrad

Keep it simple. Don't try some new equipment, new techniques, etc. when you are starting out. Do what works for you and stick to it.

I'll never forget one of my first weddings where I tried a new flash reflector. I had bumped my flash head a bit so the head was pointed slightly downwards. Most of the shots on one roll had a dark shadow from half way up.

There is enough to think about, sometimes too much.

Remember to pause, catch your breath, be in charge, and take a moment to look, really look and think about your camera settings. Do this as often as possible, only takes a few seconds. You don't want to find you are shooting at iso 1600 and outdoors in daylight.

When I first starte doing weddings I need Valium more the bride...my big rule is have fun and try to make it a fun and enjoyable experience for the bride.....Once I learned to just breathe and go with flow and be part of the experience the quality of my shots shot up! I take a turn at all the dollar dances...and get good feedback from that..gives me a minute to just zone and makes the couple feel like I really do care about them as people....

Think twice when you get asked to shoot a wedding for a family relative. I made a mistake of letting history repeated itself when I agreed to shoot their wedding. I had honestly thought there's no better gift to the wedding couple than the images I produced exclusively for them. Unfortunately, they decided to reward me with attitude! I'm not saying all relatives are nasty but from the responses I received on my blog, it seems a common enough occurence to document it.