Catholic wedding + Catholic photographer

jenseay

If you're photographing a Catholic wedding mass, and you're a Catholic

yourself, is it appropriate to receive communion during that part of the mass?

I photographed a Catholic wedding two weeks ago, and although I chose not to

receive communion, the question popped in my mind, and I thought I'd present it

to all of you. What do you think?

From most Catholic weddings I've been present at (mostly Mexican weddings), photographing the bride and groom receiving communion is quite common. After the couple receives communion, there's really not much going on anyways so it won't hurt to get in line for communion but it's your call.

I play it by hear (or heart) that day. My rationale if I choose not to is that I was working during the mass, therefore I was not fully participating. Feel a bit guilty.

If I do, sometimes I admit it was becuase I felt the B&G were expecting me to. Feel guilty.

You could also feel guilty when you receive because you are not taking pictures.

I guess there is no escaping the Catholic guilt!

Being Catholic and a photographer, at my wedding I wanted photographs of the communion. Alot of thought has gone into the mass, especially a full mass and many people invloved are asked to by the b&g inlcuding those who walk the communion down to the alter. I dont think I would be offended of the vendors had ( mainly because i was kneeling and woudlnt have been able to see) however it is a personal act, and may be best kept your own mass. Besides, how many of us really havent eaten anything before the comunion at 2:30 on a sat. Not me, im not starting a job hungry! So I would say it's really not appropriate..... IMHO :)

I frequently discretely slide into the line after photographing the B/G recieving the Host and recieve communion myself. I also will ask the pastor or officiant for a blessing upon our initial meeting when we discuss the church's policy of photographs during the ceremony. Probably shoot about 70% of my weddings as a Catholic mass and it's never been an issue as I close in on 500 weddings over the past 15 years.

While I'm an Episcopalian, most of my wife's extended family is Roman Catholic. I'd suggest discussing it with the couple and playing it by ear as well. You'll know if you "can" participate, I'd agree it's more a question if you "should." Some of her family weddings or events, the immediate family sets the tone by no one except the B&G and immediate wedding party takes communion - usually when the crowd is large and time constraints exist. Most of the others cued from that and didn't. If that were the case, it might be good to follow the family lead. Others couldn't be kept away if you had the Notre Dame defensive line trying to keep them back.

I think the Romans would understand your response, others may wonder.

I have seen a photographer climbing the Altar to get the best shot, but he was reprimanded for doing that. He must have been an atheist or a communist, and that could be the best photographer for any religion in any church. (~!~) Knows nothing about religious rituals, and ignores or violates them to get the best pictures, such pictures that would not be possible to take by a religion concious photographer.

Frank - sort of like the photo-journalist's dilemma - do you stick your hand out to save a drowning person - or do you get a great shot of someone drowning?

David - I hear you - the atheist is reacting to opportunities - the liturgically aware is anticipating the moment and goes to the right spot at the right time to capture the essence of the action.

A simple matter of personal conscience, noting the importance of one`s professional obligation.

One should not feel obligated to Communicate, but it is not inappropriate.

If one did decide to receive the Sacraments, I think it best be timed after the majority of the Congregation and with no neglect in time or lapse in concentration regarding the primary purpose for one`s attendance at the Wedding.

God, (and the Church), surely understands the primary reason for the photographer attending the Sacrament of Marriage, and would, primarily expect, a whole hearted and focused job, in the first instance, I expect.

WW

>>> [ . . . ] and that could be the best photographer for any religion in any church. (~!~) Knows nothing about religious rituals, [ . . . ]

And

>>> Or is very aware of the solemnity of the sacrament and views his photography as an extension of his lay ministry. <<<

Both interesting points, I prefer the later, not because I believe that being an extension of the any Ministry automatically makes one a better photographer; but it I do believe with thorough research, understanding and appreciation of the Religious nuances to ANY service, Professional Photographers are in a better position than they might otherwise be, to execute their tasks.

WW

>>> Frank - sort of like the photo-journalist's dilemma - do you stick your hand out to save a drowning person - or do you get a great shot of someone drowning? <<<

Interesting point: worthwhile anticipating and deciding well before the event.

If one is truly a photojournalist, leaving the time to make such a decision in a split second, and without considered thought, perhaps might leave one in a position of difficulty living with that decision.

Witnessing and being first at the scene of a motor car accident is a more than common test: most professionals carry their cameras in their cars.

WW