Hi all I have my first destination wedding (in the caribbean) and have a

question on bags. My current "working" bag is a tamrac pro system 12. To be

clear it's heavy and works my shoulder pretty badly. Although it does have a

sleeve for draping over a luggage cart.

Or should I invest in an airport security or airport international from

thinktankphoto.com. What are the thoughts from people that travel alot? I

understand the benefits - wheels to save my shoulder, stealth, built in

security. I don't travel a lot(and when I do I usually just take a small camera

bag) so I'd like to avoid making a huge investment if possible.

my 'working' bag is a not a bag at all - it is a thinktank belt system. my traveling bag is a thinktank airport security. I'm a big fan of the airport security. if you travel a lot, IMHO it is totally worth it. it holds a huge amount of gear, is lockable and looks for the most part like any other piece of luggage.

if you don't travel a lot, then you are probably just as well of with a small bag...

the shoot sac comes to mind if you want something that is discreet -but it is $200, which is expensive for what you get.

It really does depend on how much you are bringing to the event. Most people with a lot

of gear are using the thinktank systems and are happy with their purchase.

For my work, those are overkill as I travel much lighter. Remember the idea of

backpacking - get the biggest bag you need and not bigger, because if you have extra

room you are going to use it. I had considered a few bags and felt what I needed most

was that the bag could be slung on my shoulder all day and was waterproof. The majority

of my work involves travel, and I needed a good system for transport.

The only bag that really fit my working style is the Billingham Hadley Large. It holds all of

my gear and is waterproof. To keep from looking like a tourist I purchased the black bag

with black trim - I refer to it as my "man purse" but it was a smart decision. One bonus is

that it is just the right size to drop into a Zero Halliburton for additional security. It holds

all of my gear along with a backup body and flash. It's a nice bag without much hype or

press - but is much better suited for my travel and working style.

As for equipment -

I'm taking 2xD200 and 1 D70

1 D200 battery grip

70-200mm 2.8 vr

17-55 mm 2.8

50mm 1.8

85mm 1.8

17-200 VR (for walking around the island afterwards)

maybe 105mm macro

SB800 and SB600

Some filters, batteries, chargers, etc.

Flash bracket

Epson p3000,

I can generally get everything but the flash bracket, 70-200, and thee epson into the tamrac bag I have. By working - I meant what I travel to a shoot with. I've been using atamrac velocity bags for the actual shoots and it's been working out well.

Hi Leon,

I have a range of pelican and generic brand hard cases. I won't check in my camera cases so they need to be able to be small enough to take on as carry on luggage. I figure I can do the shoot if my general luggage doesn't show but my cameras are going to arrive with me. I find hard cases to be good security for local shoots as well as they can store my back up equipment and be locked in and to my car. Regards Greg