Is Graphi the Best???

tim_maher

Hi, Ive got my first shoot in July and at the moment Im researching different

types of wedding albums.

Recently I was at a venue where there was a sample album from a local

photographer and have to say I was very impressed. The pages seemed "plastic

like" and it had a metal hard cover. Also, some of the photo's where across

two pages without being affected by the seam.

Can anyone confirm if this would have been a Graphistudio album??? Also, what

are the pages made of???? Last one - would this be referred to as a "Flush

Mount"??

Also, I am based in the UK. My kit comprises of 5D, 23-105 F4/L, Sigma Super

DG 500, Canon 50mm 1.8.

As its my first one I really want a high-end album - so any suggestions would

be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks for your time

Tim.

I had a good look at Graphi at Focus. To me they do look very nice but remind me of a Alfa

Romeo car. Great when new but after a while bits start falling off!

I use Jorgensen (jorgensen.com.au). I love them! They cover a wide price range and have a

feel of quality (which is very important) an album that will hang around and look good for

years.

SWPM (swpm.net) are the UK agent and are in fact on tour this month and next accross the

country.

Impossible to confirm it was a Graphi only from your description...but Graphi does make albums with the page and cover characteristics you noted.

Yes - that sounds like a flush mount album. No mats, no borders. The pages are typically prints, full bleed, using multiple images - often spanning the gutter. Graphi prints on a choice of papers including Kodak Endura in luster and metallic.

Asuka is a very different look and feel - the covers, the pages. But also a beautifully printed book with a slim profile as compared to Graphi's heavier look and feel.

And (in my opinion) "NO",Graphi is NOT the best. They make a quality album but there are many others with the same or better quality. What Graphi has that is different, however, are some very different cover choices and very attractive mini-book duplicates at a very good price point.

They recently revised their pricing so they are very competitive with the other high-end album people. In addition to Graphi, we use Art Leather Cache, Leather Craftsmen 3500, VisionArt Books, AsukaBook and really like the look of Zookbinders' ZookBook and White Glove Books offerings though we've not used the latter two vendors.

We offer Art Leather for all of our traditional matted albums. We use Asuka Book as an affordable way to do a coffee table book. And, Graphi for our standard coffee table book sales. The difference between Graphi and Asuka is night and day.

As was said, I've heard quite a few complaints about Graphi customer service (and AL for that matteR), but the product's top notch and I've got no complaints.

Oh, just heard that Art Leather files for Chapter 11 - huge bummer.

I use the graphi and have been very happy with it. I did notice when I left a studio copy of one of my books in the car during the summer the pages tended to stick. Then it happened and piece of the page did come off due to them sticking. Graphistudio quickly repaired it for free and got it back to me in about 2 weeks. I has since spoke with them and they tell me they are using a different coating on the metallic pages now and they won't have that problem. I do love the albums, mini albums, and options...

I just got my sample kit from Graphi Studios yesterday and many of the pages were stuck together like Tim mentioned. I don't think that anything has changed with the coating to prevent this from happening. I'm very concerned... obviously the book was riding around in a UPS truck/plane for several days in the heat but if the pages are going to stick together and the color lifting off of the page - it's just not going to be acceptable. Of course, my overall impression of the book was that they do top-notch work - it was very impressive (just if the pages wouldn't stick).

A couple people have mentioned Jorgenses (or Jorgenson range). I did a google search and couldn't come up with anything. I guess I don't know what this company is... can someone give some more information (a website link) on them?

Went to a Jorgensen UK tour last night - very informative. Albums look very good along with the JAD sofrware. Also thinking of Queensbury too - like the thought of a Digital album but without the problems that some Graphi users are getting.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be quite a little debate here about Graphi and all the others. I have created about 50 Books from GraphiStudio and I'll be the first to say they are not the best. As far as the pages "sticking together" that's the metallic paper, and it does that. What Graphi does well is their offset printed Books on textured linen. The look and feel is awesome and like none other out there now--which why I am on a quest to either find a company that can compete or just give in the Graphi juggernaut. I do like them but as stated by someone earlier, customer service is...well...challenging, let's say. My US rep is terrific but she's here, just like me and they are in Italy. Problems do arise and communication is also a challenge.

Asuka is very slick. The pages are thin like good coated stock and covers are nice. The thin pages don't quite measure up to the Wedding Book rank though.

White Wedding Albums are nice. I saw them at WPPI and the quality is good, the covers are very cool but honestly just more of the same.

I've also used Zookbinder's ZookBook for many years and many Books. Excellent quality for flush-mounted, guilded-edged photo prints bound into a premium leather book with a thicker pages and a solid construction. I love them (especially for their CS) but I've been spoiled with the thinner pages from Graphi and thinner pages means more pages per book and more pages means more images and more images means more choice for the couple and more money.

La-Vie is a unique book--very original but only up to 100 images. And they are priced at a premium (that's code for kinda expensive).

The Art Leather line of Montage Art Books, Leather Craftsmen, and many of the like are esentially similar to Zookbinders.

The Queensberry and Jorgansen lines hav very cool covers but again, photo paper and more of the same.

I just discovered Vision Art last night thanks to a thread on this site. They do look different but I worry a bit about uncoated inkjet prints. I can't say anything but they look nice and I look forward to a print sample of the paper.

KISS Wedding Books have launched a new boutique line of books with coated injet prints that looks just like E-6 (actually it is Kodak paper) and their business model is terrific. But again, I want press-printed books.

GraphiStudio definately does have a niche. And because of that, I continue my quest for something better or I'm going into a new line of work. There is certainly lots of room for improvement. If anyone hears of anything that is press-printed and hip without looking like my grandmother's album (they're out there), let's hear from you. If not, let me know what you want and I'll go work to start a new business offering heirloom-quality Wedding Books press-printed on archival matte paper, flush mounted onto medium weight board pages with classic top-quality leather covers all created in the good 'ol US of A. (I can almost hear the patriotic music in the background).

God Bless this country and our troops that defend it!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...