Converting RAW File Format Photographs

I thought Elements came with a copy of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR), but if not, the latest version can be found at: <a href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3587">windows</a>, or <a href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3586">macintosh</a>. With ACR installed, you should be able to open a RAW file directly into Elements, process it, and save it in whatever format you want.

<p>Yes, PSE comes with ACR. So if your goal is to start with a RAW file and end with a TIFF, and the tool you wish to use to do this is PSE5, you'd open the RAW file, convert it according to whatever settings you feel are right, do any editing you feel is required, and save it as a TIFF.</p>

<p>If PSE5 is the same as PSE3 in this regard, even the regular Save (as opposed to Save As) gives you options for the format to use, if you're working from a RAW file. If you open a JPEG, do some things to it, and then Save it, I believe it assumes you want to save it as a JPEG. Ditto for a TIFF. But if you open a RAW file, well, it can't save it as a RAW file, so it should make you choose another format for saving.</p>

Steve Dunn is almost correct. When you tell PSE to open a RAW file, it lets ACR know, and then sends it to ACR for development. ACR can only save a file as a DNG.

After development, don't press the 'Save' button, instead, click the 'Open' button. This tells PSE your are done with ACR and opens the photo in PSE proper.

At that point, you make any changes that you want in PSE and you either 'Save' the image as a PSD file, or 'EXPORT' the file as a Tiff, jpg, whatever.

well, well, well..hello TIFF or JPEG copy of my RAW file! Thank you to all who responded! Glen, your instructions just needed one small change; I couldn't export as that option wasn't highlighted but I was able to save as either a JPEG or a TIFF using 'Save'. The trick was, as you said, to click on 'Open' rather than on 'Save' as I had been doing. Thanks very much! best regards, cb :-)