films were over-exposed on one side (a gradual over exposure). I know that the

shutter "sweeps" from side-to-side, so I'm wondering if the camera body needs

service.

My imagination informed me that the shutter is "sticky" and when it gets close

to "completing its shutting action," excessive friction is preventing it from

closing consistently/steadily. Kinda like in a horror film where the 2ft steel

sliding door to the Antagonists' lair is about to close on our hero/heroine in

distress, except suspense is pro-longed by the door slowing down right before

the room is sealed, like our hero's fate.

Anyone experienced this sad issue on an otherwise remarkable manual camera?

I think you got it right, the first blind may run consistantly and the second blind drag. Or perhaps the second blind's spring has lost its tension. Whatever, its a very nice camera, well made and deserving of a CLA. Minolta made and sold a load of the various SRT models, it and the XE-7 were/are real gems.

You have a classic case of shutter "tapering" which is indeed one blind dragging. This usually only occurs at the higher speeds, 250, 500 and 1000. Nothing too drastic and any decent repair person can put it right for not too much cost. The SRT is definately worth it.

Tony

There's an example photo here, where exposure is inconsistent from side to side (looking at my other photos, it over-exposes on LEFT side):<br>

http://mysite.verizon.net/guansoon/landscape_web/ <br>

[it would be the first image called "0092951-R1-022-9A.jpg"]

<br><br>

I'll call a local camera person to inquire about repair. Thank you for the valuable input!<div>00LUkz-36961384.jpg.140aee91594f45125e7ab3ea28e81a51.jpg</div>

Thanks for the example. But I don't see consistent overexposure on the left side, rather a light area of rock, somewhat over, at the bottom left and darker tree, well exposed, at the upper left.

Also, doesn't the SRT shutter travel horizontally? For a shutter fault to cause overexposure on one of the long sides of the gate, the shutter has to travel vertically, like the Copal Square shutter and derivatives.

YUP, this image is uncropped & taken with camera in vertical position. Looking at the camera at rest (sitting horizontally), the shutter should "sweep" like a curtain does from side-to-side. So, the over-exposure occurs on the lower portion (or equivalently on left side) of the example photograph.<br><br>

A Camera shop in Eastern PA verbally quoted >$100 for such repair (if parts are available), just FYI.

IF THIS HAPPENS ONLY AT SMALL F-STOPS, (F/22,F/16) AND AT ANY SHUTTER SPEED, IT IS PROBABLY NOT THE SHUTTER, BUT RATHER A SLOW IRIS IN THE LENS. THIS IS PROBABLY A LUBE ISSUE IN THE LENS...TRY ANOTHER LENS AND TRY SHOOTING AT F/2.8 OR SO ... IF THE EFFECT GOES AWAY, I WOULD BET ON THE LENS.