Is one Gold CD better than another?

In looking at burning scanned images to storage discs I keep coming up with the

same thing: Gold CD's are supposed to be the best way to go.

Is one brand or type of Gold CD any better than another?

Anyone making Gold DVD's for burning storage images? I can't find any doing the

search engine stuff.

Gold is the reflective layer, instead of metallic silver for other writeable discs or aluminum for stamped discs. Gold is much more resistant to oxidation than silver (or aluminum), but the advantage is slight with modern technology and coatings.

The dye layer using phthalocyanine dye is sometimes described as "gold". It is, in fact, a pale green. Phthalocyanine dye is the most durable and has the highest S/N ratio for CDs, followed by cyanine (green) and diazo (blue) dyes. All recordable DVDs use a metal-stabilized diazo dye (purple), which seems to be durable enough according to accelerated life testing.

All MAM discs (formerly Mitsui) use phthalocyanine dyes, and are available with either gold or silver reflective layers (q.v., http://www.polylinecorp.com).

• 1 month later...

Generally Mitsui Medical CD's are the "gold" standard in CD media.

If you really are looking for professional level archiving, I would suggest Magneto Optical. It is r/w and the data is checked after writing so that you can be sure that it was written properly. Magneto Optical is much more robust than CD's and is used by the medical profession to store digital imaging files (MRI, Radiology, PET scans..etc.)

check us out at www.medgrade.com we sell MO disks and drives as well as Mitsui and TY discs.

With the amount of time and resources that youve invested; CD's are okay but the rock solid choice is MO media.