Nikon D300 files finally readable by OS X with 10.5.2 update

lwg

Right. Until now, Leopard couldn't preview D300 NEFs or display them as thumbnails.

Apple Aperture users have been needing this for a long time, as Aperture has been effectively

incompatible with D300 and D3 NEFs. And there are <a

href="http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1389179&tstart=0">still some

complications</a>.

For those of us running NX, Lightroom, CS3 etc this isn't such a big deal, but still helpful.

Well then, I'm not sure about that... It didn't work for me or other folks in my little crew until

the .2 update, but apparently there's more to it. Were you running a an OS update seed, by

chance?

I just tried importing a D300 NEF into iPhoto and it worked, but I installed an iLife update

earlier today. I don't know if this success is due to the iLife update or not, but if you don't

already have the update on board it's probably worth checking out.

I downloaded and purchased Aperture 2.0 (just as my Lightroom trial expired!) and imported RAW D300 files. Very impressed with RAW conversion 2.0. Aperture also has a drop-down menu for RAW 1.1 and 1.0, so what was imported as RAW prior to 2.0 looks the same (though you can migrate images to RAW 2.0). Just begining to use Aperture 2.0, but my observations:

-Fast, much faster than 1.5.6, I have't seen the spining beachball yet, tested with a project having 280 RAW D300 shots and adjusting them

-I like the preview mode, scrollig through images is real fast, just hit "P" key to toggle between preview (JPG) and RAW.

-Simple UI, clean, uncluttered, for me, I like this, I seem to wrok extremely efficient in AP so I can get back outside

-Yes, off a menu there is a Plugin > menu item, nothing there yet, but soon...

Note that AP 2.0 supports D3/D300 in OSX 10.4.11 too, not only in Leopard. I have 10.4.11 on a G5 dual 2.0, 8GB RAM, 30" and 20" displays, running smooth so far.

Yes, I was referring to the OS being able to preview the files. I've been able to use Photoshop and Capture NX to view the files, but not preview. More important to me is the fact that iView Expression Media uses the OS libraries to generate its previews and thumbnails. This now works on OS X.

It's interesting that Chris was able to see any thumbnail at all. On my systems I wasn't for D300 raw files.

Sounds like the new version of Aperture is another way to get this feature on older versions of OS-X.

I just did it too. My iView also works now with the D300 NEFs.

Anyone know if we will be able to get it to work with OS 10.4.11?

I'm keeping the laptop on 10.4 until Nikon is ready for LEOPARD as I need to shoot tethered

to the laptop sometimes. Don't want to mess that up.