How do you compensate for crummy paper?

I have Photoshop CS2 and an Epson 2400, and want to print a photo on crummy

13x19 paper (Staples brand). When I print on this stuff, the image comes out too

light and the colors are dull. What can I do in Photoshop to try and compensate

for the limitations of this paper? (I know I can buy other paper, but that's not

the question!) Thanks.

As cheap paper goes, it isn't that bad, what it lacks is a profile for your printer and ink. A 40 or 50 dollar investment in a profile for that paper will allow you to print happily on this paper.

As stated above, by trial and error, you can learn to maually adjust the printer to compensate for the differences between the default profile and the paper's needs. But that's a lot of work. (I been there and done that)

I also recommend a book called, "Print Like a Pro", by Jon Canfield. An excellent book for those beginners wanting to get the best prints possible. Not too hard to understand, with examples for the major printer brands. (about $40 USD)

With cheap paper, ink is absorbed too deeply into the surface, allowing the surface to be visible. Hence, the colors are pale and washed out. When this happens, the ink also tends to spread, spoiling detail.

There's nothing you can do with profiling or printer settings to improve the image quality. I suggest you stick with Epson Premium Luster or Enhanced Matte if you want vibrant colors. Even the Epson art papers (e.g., Watercolor) tend to be subdued by comparison. There are also excellent papers from other vendors who speciallize in inkjet photo printing.