Sharpness: Sigma 10-20 vs Tokina 12-24

anesh

check out photozone.de, they have very detailed reviews and testing done. The consensus is that the Tokina has the better build, the Sigma provides an extra 15% in FOV (which may or may not be of any importance to you). FWIW, I own the Sigma 10-20, made 12x8 and 10x10 prints and they look superb...

"given you get a good copy" - my second copy of Tokina is much better then the first one, but that is as far I as my efforts went out to get a perfect Tokina.

Make sure you can return and replace one for one that is very sharp, if that happens to you - so getting 3rd party lenses from local vendor makes more sense.

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/pmtestapr07" >LINK</a><p>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/dpmay07test" >LINK</a><p>

Read the articles in the link.<p>

I'm in a market for a UWA lens too, For me it's a battle between canon and sigma. I could get a good price for the canon that is only $100- more than the sigma, But the build quality and the good optics of the sigma is hard to ignore, I'm just concerned with the sigma's QC.

I've had bad luck with Sigmas in the past. I have the Tokina 12-24 and I have fell in love with this lens; It almost never leaves the camera anymore. It blows Canon's 10-22 out of the water on distortion and vignetting although I think the Canon is a little sharper. I don't think you would be disappointed with the 12-24.

Every time someone asks this it's always the same answer. Just about everyone is delighted with whichever one they bought. I have the Tokina and sure enough, I am delighted with it. But I would like a wider view from time to time, so I wish I had bought the Canon. Personally, I'm tired of buying Sigma, but if you buy one I suspect you will be just as delighted as the rest of us. :)