Travel Regulations

scott_chico

I am going to Mexico in just over a month, and I wanted to bring my equipment

in my carry-on baggage. Does anyone know what kind of security restrictions I

might face at airports, etc? (I am not planning on bringing a full sized

tripod) Is there anything that I cannot bring or will need to check?

Please add to the above question: I would also like any info that you know about x-ray machines and unprocessed film. I looked over all of the posts and things were a little unclear. I will be taking a bulk film loader w/ 100' of film. Do I need to be concerned for either my cameras or my film?

Only the check-in folks at the airport will be the ones to answer your questions. Re: 100' of film: you might reconsider and take film in cassettes (in a plastic baggie) so you may request hand inspection. Something like a 100' roll of film cannot be easily hand inspected (my guess,) and depending on the ISO of the film, it may or may not take x-ray treatment well.

Mexican airports may x-ray on the way in. How much latitude you get depends on the airport. I landed at a small, little-used airport that had problems with drug traffickers. They put our bags on the tarmac and then we walked over and picked them up, all while armed soldiers watched us. Then everything, and I mean everything, went through x-ray. However, the x-ray machines were low power and film-safe.

I would agree on the bulk load film. I wouldn't expect them to know what it is and that may result in problems.

Scott, you shouldn't have any type of security problem with your camera gear but you may be limited to how much you can carry on the plane. Larger jets probably have a two-bag limit but smaller planes usually have space only for one bag even if you are allowed two carry-ons. They will simply check one of the bags.

Check with your airline about carry-on limits. Also, make sure to ask if the return plan is the same type of aircraft. If not, you want to know if there will still be room for two bags. The last thing you want is to check your sensitive camera gear. Besides getting tossed around, it is also subject to theft because it will be out of your sight.