Rain protection on the cheep

dave.englund

I'm heading out for a 10-day photo trip soon and will be outside in various

parts of the country where I may encounter rain. I don't want to go to the

expense of buying a special rain protector for my camera (gotta save some money

for the trip;-) I was thinking maybe I'd just go find a cheep clear poncho and

cut that down to size for protecting the camera during shooting in the rain.

Anybody got any other ideas, things that have worked well for you? Thanks.

I've used glad trash bags, they work great too.

For my long lenses I made my own covers from the legs of a pair of camo frog togs. the elastic band at the ankle, and the zipper work perfect for 500-600mm lenses and they are long enough to cover the body as well.

Our dollar stores carry rain poncho's for $1- each, so I bought 10 of them. One in each camera bag + several in the car, and I did use it last year on our BC trip (lots of rain & drizzle) over the camera. The hood goes over the Flash-Extender and the lens sticks out of one arm.

I also carry some industrial strength garbage bags that's very hard to tear so I can easily stick all my gear in there if the rain got very heavy. It's also good for laying down in muddy/wet places.

A medium sized "packtowel" from a travel or luggage store can be draped over camera and lens for protection during drizzle. Not so good in high wind. They do have the added advantage that as long as you keep them nice and clean you can also use them to wipe off the rainspots from the front of the lens. Using the camera and keeping the towel in the right place takes a bit of getting used to, but it is a good solution if you don't expect to be shooting a lot in heavy rain/wind and don't want to be fooling with plastic bags.

John Shaw recommends hotel shower caps. The elastic band holds them secure even in

winds, and they are by definition quite waterproof.

I used one yesterday in heavy downpours on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It worked well. Some

water got through just due to the sheer volume of the rain - I got wet under my own rain

gear - but not more than a drop or two.

Get a large one if you have long lenses.

I like the shower cap idea. But I just have to ask the obvious...how does the camera wear it? :D

I assume the opening with the elastic fits out on the front of the lens somewhere, with the rest of the camera body safely inside the shower cap. And you are working the controls of the camera with your fingers *through* the cap.

Sorry, it's getting late, but that's the only way it makes sense to me ;-)

"I like the shower cap idea. But I just have to ask the obvious...how does the camera wear it? :D

I assume the opening with the elastic fits out on the front of the lens somewhere, with the rest of the camera body safely inside the shower cap. And you are working the controls of the camera with your fingers *through* the cap."

That's just it. Elastic around the lens. In rain keep the lens pointing down unless shooting. The material is totally transparent and very thin, so you can see the button markings easily and press them cleanly right through the material.

Got a bag of 50 of them for a few dollars at Walmart. Stuffed about 10 in my camera bag and store the rest "offline."

I'm not used to it raining much here, but this week, I felt tempted to put a bolt though a frisbee, seal it with hot glue and learn to use my camera upside down. Those are stiff enough to handle some wind and are probably more than enough to shelter my little point and shoot on most rainy days. If only my rain coat didn't go missing.

• 2 weeks later...

I live on Washington State's Olympic Peninsula (say WET!). I use the shower caps and small trash bags with the closing-tie's.

Since I'm usually shooting with an F3HP or F100, if a little moisture gets in it doesn't hurt them.

Shooting from under a trees canopy helps too.

FYI - just back from Yellowstone and The West (Badlands, Devil's Tower). Never needed the shower caps I purchased at Walmart for the rain. The weather was picture perfect except for my first morning in Yellowstone when I shot the lower falls in Yellowstone Canyon. Got most of my shots before catching a few drops on the lens. By the time I was at my next shoot the rain had finished. Still, the shower caps were in my bag and available if I needed them.