Fuijfilm S5 vs Nikon D200, any users?

Probably more users of those two bodies frequent the Nikon Forum, where there have been <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00KK5k>some discussions like this</a>. <p>

Wish I could be more helpful, but I've only briefly handled the D200 (which is what you use, no ?) and liked it quite a bit. Don't believe I've even seen the new Fuji yet. People often talk about the image processing differences between the two, and I often wonder whether post-processing would be the great "equalizer" there ?

I've had the Fuji S5 for a month now and taken a few thousand shots. I'm using it strictly for weddings now. The auto WB with jpg was absolutley on the money with all my available light shots and off by a few points on the outdoor shots (very minor). Every other pro I have spoken with gets the same results. For that alone, it's worth it.

The Fuji is slower for sure, file sizes are MUCH bigger, even jpg which is why it's so slow. The menu system sucks and the 'fuji' battery is not interchangable with the Nikon, even though it's a Nikon body.

I personally find the images soft to view, but they print just fine with a little sharpening. The camera is noisier than my Canons.

The HUGE difference is that you get very nice detail in white bridal gowns that I cannot get with any other camera peroid. You have much more lattitude on exposure error than any other jpg by a long way. It's almost like shooting raw, but on jpg.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...
I own both. I have retired my Nikon and use the Fuji exclusively. And that's for wedding photography. Never found speed to be an issue with it. A wonderfull camera, provided you know how to use it. It is a lot more like a film than digital, and if you use it like a digital you will miss out on its real power.