flash without getting too much contrast and losing highlight detail. I

experimented with using the camera (with pop-up flash) as a Commander with the

SG-31R flash blocking panel, but decided to get the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight

Commander, mainly for the focus assist:

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=4&productNr=4794

I'm loving the SU-800. I'm using it with two SB-800s bounced off a white

ceiling (and have two more SB-800s on order). This bounce set-up allows me to

hold highlight detail (the dog pictured has very light blonde fur and is

difficult to photograph without losing detail in her fur).

Its rare that I'm pleased with a Nikon product without reservation. The SU-

800 is a swell product- not too expensive, easy to use and effective.<div>00LQmK-36884884.JPG.c07b14e5aef4519d499b7959b4dc7bbd.JPG</div>

There is at least one minor advantage. If you use the D200 or D80's built-in flash as commander, you have the choices among channels 1 to 4 as well as groups A & B. The SU-200 can control three groups of flashes A, B & C, also among channels 1 to 4. Whether you really need as many as three groups of flashes is another issue. (If you use a D70/D70s as commander, you are stuck with channel 3 and group A only.)

Compared to using an SB-800 flash as commander, the SU-800 has a longer range. I haven't compared it to using a D200 as commander.

BTW, for years I've used Nikon cameras and flashes on Stroboframe brackets (currently Press-T's) for event-shooting. I wind up wrapping the SC-17 cords around the bracket, and sometimes, when bringing the flash arm from the vertical back to the horizontal position, the arm gets caught on the cord- a minor annoyance.

Also, I lost focus assist, which is handy in a dark wedding hall. (I know, I could regain focus assist with an SC-29 cord, but I'd still be left with the catching cord problem.)

I spoke with Nikon Digital Tech Support and was told that I could use the SU-800 and put the SB-800 on the bracket with no cord. I'm going to try this the next time I shoot flash on a bracket.

Another big advantage is there is no pre-flash, which is the reason I bought it in the first place.

The increased range is also nice. Adjusting the output to the various flashes is super easy and fast - no menus to search through.

• 3 months later...