Solid monopod for sports at an affordable price?

trevor_s1

Hey all,

Im looking at a solid monopod for shooting sports, at the moment I have a 29.95$ one from circuit city

that buckles under the weight of my D80 and Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. So I was looking to get one thats a

little stronger and can support the weight.

Currently im looking at the Bogen 680B seen here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5535-REG/

Bogen_Manfrotto_680B_680B_4_Section_Compact_Monopod.html

Its reasonably priced, i don't want to shell out 100$+ for a carbon fiber one, one concern I have is im 6

feet tall so its gotta be tall enough while I am standing, which the one I currently have isn't. I will have to

buy a seperate ball head, which is like 31$ so it would come out close to 100$ but i'll have the entire

setup.

Anyway, was just hoping to get some input from the sports photographers on here, and what your

thoughts were on this one, or if there is just as good a one at a better price.

Thanks for any feedback, its appreciated.

Trevor

Don't need to go expensive or carbon fiber for a monopod. I have a Manfrotto 681B which is great.

The Gitzo 1564 aluminum monopod is nice because it has the twist locks which I like but I think it might be overkill at about $150 for an aluminum model.

Be sure to buy the $20 swivel head for you monopod.

Stay away from no names. Manfrotto = great value, reasonable price.

A mono pod is essentially a stick, get one that has good locks so it doesn't sink down and most importantly get one that is high enough so you don't have to slouch, your back will appreciate it after long days on the sidelines. Don't get caught up in branding here there are heaps of cheap chinese monos that work really well, lock solidly and are a good height. Tripods on the other hand are a totally different story.

I went to a cycling race 2 days ago and a guy locked himself out of his car with the passenger side window about 1-1/2 inches opened. So, guess what ... I used my Bogen 676B (fully extended) to unlock the driver side door for him. Saved him $50 from a lock smith.

My Bogen 680B has performed very well for me. I'd suggest getting the 3229 Swivel Tilt Head with Quick Release head along with it. I prefer the tilt head to a ball head on a monopod since you can easily tilt the monopod for the in-between and multi-dimensional angles. I find the tilt head to be less fiddley, quicker and more secure.