newbie: SB800

sophie_zhang

Hi all,

I just received my SB800 two days ago. I've been reading the manual and some

guide book, however, none of them seems to help me understand why my flash won't

flash sometimes.

I hope it's not a question of the SB800 being defective, but sometimes when I

fire it (and it's mounted on my nikon d70) it just doesn't flash. I swtiched to

other modes, still doesn't flash. The ready light however, blinks after the

shutter is released, supposedly to tell me my flash is ready to flash when the

blinks stops. But when it stops, still doesn't flash.

I would like to know why this happens.

Thank you!

Try a two button reset. Make sure the flash is seated in the hot shoe properly. Try new batteries. (my SB-800 does strange things when the batteries are starting to die)If that does not work, take the flash and camera back to the store that you bought the flash. Try the flash on a different camera and a different flash on your camera.

I just put a sb-800 on my d70 and tried to make it not flash.. the only way it won't flash is when the flash is in the remote mode or you set it to 'off' in the very last settimgs box. but this seems not to be a problem if it only won't flash SOMETIMES. try checking if the hot shoe connectors are clean and make sure you lock it with the lever when you put it on.. otherwise, check other batteries or take it to the store and see other cameras/flashes, as Len said. good luck

As Daniel mentioned, make sure your flash is attached securely to your camera and locked in place. You may also want to clean the contact on you camera with alcohol and a q-tip.

If this does not help, find another camera and test it on it. If it does the same think on the other camera, the flash is likely defective.

My guess is that because the light blinks after you take a picture the flash is defective. A few weeks ago, I accidentally dropped my sb-600 (a $100 mistake for me). It would not flash after that but the red light blinked after I took a picture.

If possible, a simple test would be to find another functioning SB-800 and compare.

Admittedly, the SB-800 is complex and the manual isn't all that well written, but if you have been playing around for 2 days and it sometimes just doesn't flash, I would start assuming that the flash is defective.

I have 2 SB-800 flashes that I purchased separately. The first one had some subtle problems that it sometimes created over or under-exposed flashes. I had inconsistent results for several weeks but didn't realize that it was defective until I bought the 2nd one, which worked perfectly. I sent the first one back to Nikon for warranty repair, and they replaced some circuit board inside.

If your ready light is blinking, that tells you that the flash used all of its power the last time it fired. Particularly when your batteries are running down, it could take a significant amount of time for the flash to recycle.

I'll bet that a fresh set of batteries (try lithiums) will fix your problem.

So old batteries was the problem.

If you want faster recycle time, try the 5th battery option. Just open the battery compartment lid to about 45 degrees and push the tip of it sideways. The lid will come off easily and you can then slide in the little container for the 5th battery.