Current M8 Pricing

Caveat Emptor/There's One Born Every Minute/If it seems to good to be true......

Leica dealers sell M8s for $4795; they are obligated to do so. If you find one advertised for less, it's either imported for grey market sale (not elgible for U.S. passport warranty) Or just a flat out scam.

<< ... with passport warranty at about 4K? ... >> <p>

Perhaps it means that you get the privilege of paying for a few <i>passport photos</i> of the seller as part of the deal, thus making it theoretically easier for the seller to make a fast exit from the jurisdiction a step ahead of the authorities when the whole thing is exposed as a cruel joke :-)

"That's strange, mine came with a black document with 'Leica Passport' on the front, and inside it says that the camera will be covered for accidental damage."

That's very interesting: Maybe Leica shaved off some expenses for the USA market because of the weak US Dollar. None of the US-market M8s has the Passport, but other products like Digilux 3 still do.

• 4 weeks later...

As a student looking into the M8, I found that Leica has extended the student program to this camera as well. It's 20% off the MSRP and you must be a registered student /faculty member.

I was also told by different sources that the price as of 7/01/07(July 1st for for my Euro friends) will go up $200 here in the US.