Carying "big" lenses in to the plane

pawel_ciesielski

Hello

Durring this summer i will travel few times with Ryanair around the Europe

my hand bagage is just passing the control;) (Lowepro Dryzone) but i just bought

new baby - Nikkor 200mm f2 and here the fun and problems starts - lens is large

and oryginaly comes in soft case - how to get it to the plane with me (Dryzone too)

maybe someone got any good idea - i dont want my photo stuff in cargo at all

thnx for your time

don't know 'bout Ryanair, but on some 'bigger' airlines, I never had problems with extra hand luggage (max size backpack + small camera bag + tripod + a 'grocery bag').. and I never seen people having problems with theirs.

Another way is to share it with someone else, who has little carry-on, just to pass the control..

I fly mostly with Ryanair. It seems to me that they don't really measure the weight, but the size matters. I usually carry around 10-12kg in a mountaineering bag, which I think is smaller that the dryzone, but gives no protection to the camera gear. I use pouches for the lenses and I trust the build quality of Nikon... If you put a jacket around your camera and the lenses in some lowepro pouches, then you get a camera bag. My bag is 300g and can be folded in near to nothing, that's why I'm using it for the transfer.

Call ryanair and check the size with them, but don't risk by any chance to be turned back. They take these stupid new rules seriously.

It's much better flying with a bigger company if you have an expensive gear that you want to carry on board.

Consider the liability limit of your airline ($400-$2800, conditions depending), and, they assume no liability for fragile items. How much did your lens cost again? Cargo is evil.

Watch out, Ryanair will charge you huge amounts of cash for overweight items.