consensus is that the D80 doesn't do so well, as it isn't as sensitive to IR

light as many of the other cameras. My question is, in your opinion, should I

purchase a D40x and have LifePixel convert it for IR and use my D80 for regular

shots, or should I simply purchase a filter such as the Hoya R72 and just use

my D80 for infrared? Which would be more logical? I know that by just attaching

a filter it would take incredibly long exposures and be hard especially for

portraits and whatnot, so should I shell out the money for a D40x and

conversion or just buy a filter for the D80?? Thanks in advance

I don't think you'll be happy with the D80, I'm not even sure it is actually possible to use it for IR unmodified. Thom Hogan's review says the D80 is a poor IR/UV camera, Nikon keeps making the IR blocking filter stronger with every camera.

I tried a Tiffen 89 on my D2X and I was taking 30 second exposures and could still barely see anything. I'm assuming D80 exposures would be just as long or longer.

My D70 is older and has a fairly weak IR blocking filter. I use it with both a Tiffen 89 and Hoya R72 and only need 1/2 to 4 second exposures. At ISO 1600 I can shoot at 1/30th and do it handheld and just approximate the composition. Here's one from my D70, ISO 200, 1/2 second, f8, Hoya R72<div>00N9mW-39478384.jpg.346ca4f3471fe71b24a69ecdaf06c88a.jpg</div>

Before trying to force a camera that's been designed by the manufacturer to be resistant to IR, you might consider buying a cheap older digicam made before manfucturers got a handle on minimizing IR.

For less than the cost of a good IR filter (or hot mirror filter, for that matter, if IR really bugs you in normal exposures), you can pick up an "obsolete" P&S digicam from Olympus, etc.

I haven't been very pleased with the results I've gotten from my D2H so I've been using my old Olympus C-3040Z for IR experiments. And the earlier C-3xxx series were even better for IR photography.

OTOH, having a more appropriate Nikon dSLR tweaked specifically for IR would give you access to your other Nikon lenses, etc. I wonder whether it'd be more cost effective to buy a good used D70 or D100 for such a conversion?

I read this on the D40 on bythom.com, Vivek if you've done the conversion could you comment on it?

<p>

<i>As an aside: the D40 and D40x are a bit unusual in that disassembly to remove the IR filter will require unsoldering and resoldering some leads. This makes conversions much more complex and time consuming.)</i><p>

I think lifepixel will convert the camera back to normal, is the D40 easy to convert back to visible only?

Walt, I have prior experience of blowing a D70 during an attempted conversion. :(

The D40x has a few more things to unplug while disassembling. There is only one wire that needs de-sodering/soldering- this is the least of the worries! As long as you have your wrist chained/grounded (to get rid of static electricity), no mishaps happen with the electronics and nothing gets blown (that was my problem with the D70). Also wear only cotton (non-static) clothing while any such operations.

Another major worry is to keep the dust away.

I had a Nikon D70 converted a couple of years ago.Some samples on my Gallery page. Very pleased. Keep in mind that focusing does change with IR conversion- some of your lenses may need a bit of MF assistance. Along with the conversion have the camera calibrated with a lens you use most often. In the case of the D70, the camera was calibrated for the Nikkor 18-70mm zoom. Sometimes a bit of + EV gives improved IR results. You don't want to go the filter route; expensive and difficult to use hand held. Make sure the person doing the conversion has access to a clean room or something close. Dust on the sensor and then sealed under the IR filter will be visible on every shot.

You'll have a great time shooting IR.

Regards.

The D40x is really an excellent camera over the D80 when it comes to low lighting situations. The sensor is one of the best that Nikon has ever made.

D40x is very similar to the D80. Click the link below to see comparison!

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/review/nikon/d40x/nikond40x_EN4.html

It's easier to use especially if you're new to DSLR.

Click the link below to read Ken Rockwell's comment about the D40.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

I thought, at first, Ken was trashing the D40 but he's actually right.

Either or if you get the d40/x they're great cameras!

I will not buy the D80. Unless they Nikon comes up with a new D80x or D90.

• 7 months later...

Where can i find decent instructions for a DIY conversion and do i have to get anything to replace in the camera?

I remember that the piece of glass in front of the sensor is the one to get rid off, but do i have to put

something else in front of it and if so, where can i purchase these things?

If not able to do it by myself, is there anyplace in Europe that does it?

I cant find the information about a irish firm that did this at least last year or so.