One more lens to complete my setup

patertech

I was on the market to purchase 70-200 but got fascinated with some of you guys

macro photography that I went and I bought 105 micro lens instead. So now having

12-24 and 18-200VR and 105VR should I still buy 70-200 with TC1.4 or 1.7 for

shooting sports or should I get 80-400 or 70-300VR? My camera is D200 - No night

games. High school only, mainly football some baseball. Max. budget with bill me

later option $2K. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

3 weeks ago I was certain to buy 70-200. Someone suggested that it's a great portrait lens and good for sports with TC.

Situation didn't change much but it's harder to decide now since I can use 105 for portraits but still have to fill the long range gap. I'm looking for suggestions from people with a similar setup.

Thanks.

"Situation didn't change much but it's harder to decide now since I can use 105 for portraits but still have to fill the long range gap."

If you own a Nikkor 70-200, you will never likely use the 105/2.8 VR for portraiture. The ability to get closer and the legendary bokeh of the 70-200 is precisely what makes it such a fine portrait lens. You probably get about a stop of extra wide open performance (f/4 on my 70-200 is fantastically sharp in the center).

If we are talking about shooting sports, as Jesse stated originally in both threads, the answer should be pretty much the same as last time. Ideally, a 300mm/f2.8 AF-S with the TC-14E option would work very well for football and baseball. If you are not ready to spend $2000+ (used) to $4000+ for a new VR version, you compromise with a 300mm/f4 or 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR, also with TC-14E.

I think you got some good answers last time.

I have the 70-200 with the 2x. It is only good (the 70-200 is superb on its own). Good is not good enough for me so I just bought the 80-400 and am really happy with it. It focussed faster than I expected (from the comments in this forum, I expected it to be really slow) and gives very, very sharp images. I am thrilled with it!

Which lens you needs really depends on how far you will be from the action.

Well, let me weigh in. I have been using the 70-200/2.8 VR with the 1.7X TC and have so far been happy. It's a very versatile lens that I use for portraits, low light events (plays, musicals, concerts) and sports. With the TC that gives me f/4.5 and a max focal length of 340 which remains faster than the 80-400 nikkor and has just a little less reach. I've used it with the TC for baseball and soccer and have been happy since I can usually get up quite close anyway.

I looked back on your last posting, if you think you want to be able to hand hold and take your zoom shoots consider the 70-300vr zoom. I have it and like it. It is heavier than your 18-200, but I have had it around my neck for 3 hours at a time at track meets with no problems. The auto focus works great and it takes great pictures. Stopped down a little it is great. See attached picture taken mid day with bright sun.<div>00LR9J-36889584.JPG.06456e87419c414b8d65647b273c77b4.JPG</div>

For sports the 70-200VR might not have enough reach depending on where you are in relation to the action. I would go with the 300mm 2.8 but that's a lot of money.

The 70-200 is heavy and is a pain to carry around. That aside, it's the best lens I have ever owned. I think you can get close enough to the action in a high school game so the 70-200 + 1.4x should be fine.

The 70-200 is built extremely well, colors and contrast are great, it's razor sharp, and it performs quite well wide open.

The 70-200 eliminates the 180mm and 85mm for me because it performs so well at both ends.

Buy the lens and the converter, you won't regret it.