Luftwaffen IIIb s/n 348455

Yesterday achieved an ambition of buying a WW2 Luftwaffen issue Leica IIIb with 50/3.5 Elmar ... both

engraved Luftwaffen-Eigentum . Over the years I have seen a few Luftwaffen cameras offered for sale but

was never sure if they were genuine or fake and my knowledge was limited as regarding establishing

authenticity. Then a few weeks back a dealer was offering a copy of the book "30 Jahre Leica Historica

1975-2005 'Screwmount cameras with military engravings (WWII)' " which lists serial numbers and delivery

dates of Leica cameras and lenses shipped to the German military during 1939/44 ... as extracted from

official Leitz records by Dott. Luigi Cane. The book proved useful in establishing the probable authenticity

of my intended purchase.

Thus provided this is not a "reverse plating" job with the serial number faked , it is almost certainly a

genuine 1940 issued Luftwaffen camera.

But, I am intrigued by the shutter release because it is of a type not encountered previously. The shutter

button is surrounded by a small conical shade ... like a miniature lampshade .. in fact the whole of it with

the button in the centre of the shade resembles a miniature studio light ... the conical 'shade' surrounding

the button is 14mm in diameter.

Is this a common shutter release variant?

I assume that the conical surround might make shutter operation with a gloved finger easier?

Any information about this type of release would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dunk

I will post some photos when I've mastered using a digital camera ! ... For some reason

every

time I want to start using same something else crops up ... but s/b soon I hope ... maybe

within next week or so. The engraving is in the vulcanite on the camera and on the depth

of

field ring on the lens. The engraving in the vulcanite is 'white filled' ... camera is in nice

'WABI'

condition with no dents ... slow shutter speeds are all a bit too slow ... may have it

serviced ...

lens has not been coated and is free of blemishes ... rangefinder is clear and images

coincide perfectly ... camera and lens all original apart from the flash contact. And it has a

Leica lens cap.

Dunk

George, In theory they could ... in practice would probably not be a cost effective exercise

to do it and not leave evidence of altering the serial numbers, It would entail getting hold

of a IIIb camera ...erasing and filling in the existing serial number with silver solder and

not leaving any marks showing evidence ... then replating the chrome and aging it to

match the rest of the top plate ... then engraving the forged serial number and contract

number .. plus engraving the vulcanite.

The camera came from a reputable source and there is no reason to doubt its authenticity.

There are fakes around ... especially Russian fakes made using Russian fake Leicas.

Dunk

your camera sounds fine. however, i would have it checked by an expert. don't fool yourself. there are ground up russian fakes that are absolutely superb. they know every detail. but there are a few experts about. if you paid good money, i would have it checked.