Mom may ask for Photo too

I have set an appointment to take senior portrait shots of a young lady at a

horse farm. I think it will be a great location with interesting options.

This opportunity was set-up through a contact of my sister. My sister thought

that the senior's mother might ask for some additional pictures of her and her

daughter. Should I ask for an additional fee for the departure from senior

portraits? I am probably being greedy...they would have to pay for the

additional shots anyway. I think I answered my own question. But am still

curious what others might do in this situation.

I assume Mom is paying the bill? I would think it would be best to cater to her as much as possible (and not charge more). She has a good experience, you have more pictures purchased. Sounds like it is only going to take a few minutes more of your time.

I would offer to take the mom's photo with the daughter in just 2 or 3 shots at no extra charge. When doing seniors I usually offer a "book one session, get 2nd session half off ". This promo does well because the family session can be done as soon as the senior session is over.

My portrait fees... no matter who, when, where, are always for up to two people. More than that is an additional charge...... but often if a third person (Mom or whomever) happens to be an unexpected person in a few shots I wouldn't charge extra for that. I might actually end up selling more prints!

It depends upon how your business is structured. If your income is loaded to fee for time bias then some pro bono is always good advertising and perhaps is tax deductible if say, you pay yourself wages.

If however the business is swayed to print sales then time is costed at less, and considering you are on location anyway you would calculate the print sale, or indeed sell a package at the time prior to the shoot.

It seems if you are asking this question your business might not have been designed from the floor up, deciding upon these systemic criteria first and then basing your fees structure upon those decisions.

Obviously if you are not print sale focused, your pro bono contribution should be more considered.

WW

I agree with Double W's financial assessment. However, I would also take into account the fact that the appointment was arranged by word of mouth. Therefore I would be very generous with the pro bono time and throw in some togetherness shots.

Mom and daughter would probably be thrilled, and refer you to several other seniors who want pictures with their moms. I think the added business more than makes up for the possibility of gaining a reputation as a "Mommy and Me" shooter.

Later,

Paulsky

You cannot sell images you do not take. Not only would I do the mother daughter combo, but mother alone. Then I would sell them a 30x40 of the two of them, plus a 20x30 of each of them individually and then smile as I took their very large check to the bank.

>>> You cannot sell images you do not take. <<<

Wise comment, sometimes overlooked.

The flip side is, when the business is slanted to print sales: scatter gun shooting, and give the customer too many choices which results in them deciding upon none.

Balance is always interesting, often best achieved with assiduous selection in the editing room, prior to the client viewing the product.

WW