16 gig card

Hi, I just got a Sun Disk 16.0 GB Exxtreme III card for my 5D. I put it in

the camera and formated it. After formating it the camera shows that 12.0 KB

are used and 7.8 KB are available, but there are no pic on the card.....did I

do something wrong?

Thank you all for your help,

Ron Kenny

Ron,

I think 5D only supports 8GB CF cards. There is a way to format the card on a computer but I have no idea how to do that. I would never consider anything over 2GB. If you loose the card you just lost hundreds of images.

Ales

If you have a "Sun Disk" "Exxtreme III" as you wrote and these are not type-o's I think you have bought a fraudulent knock off of the genuine "Sandisk" "Extreme III". Can you check the details of your flash card and report back to us? Where did you buy the card?

Ron, before jumping to conclusions that the card is a knock-off, try resizing the partition of the card out-of-camera (see the link in Bruce's post). What you are seeing is expected, given my experience with the 20D. The camera can recognize more than 8 GB, but the format utility assumes the largest partition you will use is 8 GB. It's a software bug, in my opinion, that can be fixed with Canon releasing a firmware update. However, that shouldn't prevent you from using all of your card -- just from using the in-camera format utility.

Why would a few years having lapsed be the determining factor when to increase your capacity? There are no "kinks" that need to be worked out of larger capacity cards, per se. This isn't like releasing a new model car or computer.

Not "if anything goes wrong". Lots of things could go wrong that would not involve the loss of all the photos.

The SanDisk Extreme III 16 GB card also comes with software (SanDisk RescuePRO) that you can use for recovering photos/videos/files from the card (as well as backing it up, and wiping it clean).

I'd be willing to wager that you're risking more (when taking into consideration the possibility of bending pins, fumbling the cards, and/or electrostatic discharge) with removing and inserting four 4 GB cards, than with having one that stays in the camera.

Why keep all your eggs in one basket? You drop the basket, and all the eggs get broken. My rule of thumb is one gig of card for every 4 Mpixels of resolution. If you are shooting more than makes this convenient, just learn to be more sparing, or carry more cards. They got the shots in the film days, and you can sure as shit do it now. In the 20D I use 2 gig cards. In the 1D I use the old one gig cards. I feel much more secure carrying several small cards. To each his or her own, though.

I picked up a 12GB Extreme III a few weeks ago with this promotion they have. It ended up being half off.

The way I shoot is not reseting the file numbers. That gives me a rough idea how many shots have been taken on the card. As that number gets higher, I'll replace the card and use the new one for important stuff and mark this as a second for backup purposes.

If you think about it, the #1 cause of card failure is abuse...getting dropped, crushed in the bag (even just bumped around), and the like. If the card stays in my camera and never comes out unless I'm at home I believe it'll last longer than swapping cards 3, 4 times a day and having to store them.

• 3 weeks later...

"One of the biggest selling points of a digital SLR to me was that you don't have to swap film canisters every 24 exposures."

I just noticed this quote. Who the hell uses 24-exposure rolls (aside from those who buy their film in drugstores and put it in point-and-shoot cameras)? This statement is coming from a man who feels it necessary to inform me on the disadvantages of processing your own film. Have you ever shot film, M? Please....

Keith