Can you set the Canon 400D to produce 300DPI images?

peter_albrian

Lets not start the PPI vs DPI debates again. Digital Photo Professional refers to DPI not PPI.

If you are shooting RAW and not JPG then you can change the DPI of the output (and indeed the actual number of pixels in each dimension) in your RAW processor. In DPP it is found under preferences and it called "Default value of output resolution". In Adobe Camera RAW you select the output resolution by clicking on the blue text below the image.

I don't know if you can change the default setting for JPG files.

As Emre says you can basically ignore DPI until you come to printing the files.

I am not sure why this is such a difficult question for everyone to answer but apparently the answer is no. I was wondering the same thing. Out of the box the camera, I think every camera I have used, will produce .jpg's that are 72dpi with huge dimensions. Of course you can easily resize that to 300dpi at manageable dimensions but it sure would be nice if the images were 300dpi with smaller dimensions to start with.

The images are the same size, they have a certain number of pixels regardless of what the camera inserts into the dpi field. It's meaningless, that's why it's being answered the way it is. It's simple to change print size when you go to print, but the images have no "inches" when they come out of the camera, only pixels. The "dpi" in the images as they come out of the camera is completely and totally irrelevant.

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LDT4">Not all software ignores that value, so it's not irrelevant.</a> As Josh has indicated (I believe he's the only person that bothered to answer your actual question), it's not possible to change the default DPI value assigned to JPEGs in-camera. However, you can modify that value after the fact. You can also shoot RAW, and specify the value in your RAW converter.