B&H Photo Followup, several months later...

Dear admins: If I have posted this in a less than ideal board, please feel free

to move it as you see fit. Thank you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Several months ago I started this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Jvzf

Thank you to all who advised me to return the product. Overall, my experience

was not positive. Though B&H representatives did not battle my reasonable

claim, they surely took their time in refunding my purchase. I have posted

the details on a review at epinions.com:

http://www.epinions.com/content_365563907716

Conversely, I had a great time buying a tripod and head from Adorama:

http://www.epinions.com/content_365563514500

The internet is a great place to shop and even B&H seems to respect at least

the basic decency of refunding the purchase of an unhappy customer, but this is

yet another reminder of the timelss axiom: caveat emptor!

Just so you know.. the ONLY complaint I ever ahd with B&H was returning things for any reason. THAT was not a good experience. I have had nothing but good experiences buying from them.

Adorama, in the past, was a miserable and miserly outfit to buy from. they may have changed their ways, but I buy nothing from them. Ever. Period.

Alex:

I have bought many (too many) items from B&H & also Adorama over the years & never have I had a "used box" from either. It sounds likely that the shipper played soccer with your package.

I have never had a bad experience with either & if a problem both retailers were nice & patient & most helpful with resolution of the matter.

I feel your frustration. I have made some online purchased from varies shops over the years, B&H included. At least half of the packages were ill packed and some broken items were resulted. I also got 2 zoom lenses which looked perfect but with obvious optical defect as well (and they were just sitting on one side of the shipping boxes w/o side protection at all). I think online retailers should look at this issue seriously as I haven't made much purchased lately because if it. Even if they would take everything back, the process is tiresome and not worth it.

I've never had any problems returning merchandise to B&H if I was unsatisfied with the

product or the packaging at point of delivery was badly abused. It's happened a couple of

times in the course of a decade and a half of doing business with them, and it has never been

any problem at all.

Godfrey

Last year I ordered CS2 that was in my cart for awhile. I didn't realize that I inadvertently clicked on the academic version which arrived two days later but wouldn't be able to obtain a proper license. I emailed them describing *my* mistake and they gave me an RMA#. I paid the difference and got the right version in a matter of days.

hey it happens to all companies... you know how people are, if they pay their hard earned $$$ for something, they expect the best... and there is nothing wrong with that. I deal almost exclusivly with B&H and have had nothing but good experience with them but I do have to say, sometimes their packaging does make me wonder..lol But i have purchased many items and all were in perfect shape. If you do recieve an item that was beat up, DO NOT contact UPS or FED EX... refuse the shipment and call B&H immeadietly.. you think waiting for a refund from B&H took long? lol..

I think craig pointed to the real culprits in all of this- the shipping

companies. I've had packages sent by both from various vendors

including electronics companies.

It seems hit or miss according to the weight of the package with

most over 30 lbs sustaining lesser damage. I now undersand

why some mail order vendors ship expensive items in unmarked

plane cardboard boxes like Beach Camera with my Pentax

K100D where they used a return address name that didn't

indicate the type of merchandise they sell. Has anyone noticed

this lately? Very clever.