sub-contracting?

susan_davis2

I have been asked by another photographer if I could shoot a wedding for her and wondering what type of

things I need to think about and how much money I should ask for. I have worked with her recently as a

second shooter so she knows my work and I know hers. But I havent' been getting paid much. As you

might know, this is still my first year doing wedding photography, but I am a good photographer

(otherwise I don't think she would ask me to do this). For this wedding, we would both meet the couple

(she is already booked that day), explain the situation and show them my work, and they would sign the

contract with her. I would use some of her equipment and some of mine. When second shooting, I have

used her digital camera, but I will be buying one of my own to have two for this wedding. I would give her

the memory cards (hers) after the wedding. So I would not do any after-wedding work. She will give me

copies of everything for my portfolio. That's basically how it's worked for the second-shooting I've done

for her, except now I would be the main photographer. She will also pay for an assistant to go with me.

How much money do you ask for with a job like this? Hourly rate or day rate? Percentage? I think her

weddings are usually around $4000 or more with a basic album. I know there should probably be a

contract, but we haven't had one yet and everything has been great. She is a really nice/honest/generous

person and I want to keep working with her.

Do a search--discussed many times before. The compensation varies widely based on what part of the country, whether urban or small town, your skill and experience level and possibly big studio/small studio. Generally (very generally) speaking, an independent contractor wedding shooter gets 25-35% of the package price, but lots of things, such as whether you are doing post processing and whether albums are included in the package price, impact this. It is impossible to suggest anything unless one has specific information as to the above, particularly location. I'd suggest trying to find out what other ICs in your area make and talk things over honestly with your photographer. If she is a great person, you should have no problem with honesty. I am surprised she hasn't come up with an offer since she is the one that is managing all the expenses, and doing the marketing and other administrative tasks involved in running a business.

As for what you need to know, it would be good to get your hands on the Nolo book on independent contracting. And good to have everything in writing--a working agreement, in other words--which includes coverage of rights to images.

Her <br>

-got the client lead<br>

-handling the booking<br>

-taking care of an assistant<br>

-letting you use some gear<br>

-doing all the post production<br>

<p>

You<br>

-shooting the wedding.<br>

-handing over files<br>

-wanting and getting for more experience and portfolio material

<br>

<br>

It depends a lot on how it is your market, as well as the amount of time and travel you'll

do, but for a $4000 wedding job (in my market), I think you should

ask for $600 to $800 max. if you are producing excellent shots right out of the camera.

<p>

You say you've done second shooting, but have you shot a wedding on your own? I've

never done second shooting and jumped right into shooting my own. But I hear that

there's a notable difference between being a second and being the main shooter. Make

sure you can handle it, because it takes more than good camera skills.

I usually figure about 2 hours of editing and other things for every hour of shooting. So if she charges $4000, and say $1500 of that is for an album, and perhaps $500 is for an assistant and print cost (with mark up for profit, etc.), that leaves maybe $2000 for her/your wedding services. She's going to need $500 of that for running the business, advertising, etc. That leaves $1500, with her doing two hours for every one of yours.

You know what? There's no money in this business. :)

I have to agree with Ian... Because you are basically doing the job for her, with her equipiment for the most part, and her assistant, and on her booking, you have to accept that you won't make anything like what she will make, and rightly so.

I think this photographer who is giving you this opportunity is doing you a huge favor, and you should remember that. Do your best to make her glad she did.

Now, some advice on shooting your first wedding as first shooter.

1 - Go to the reception! Meet & greet, and work out your camera angles. Pay attention to the plan, and take notes on what happens in what order. This will be invaluable to you on the wedding day.

2 - Make the most of your second shooter. You're an experienced second, so do absolutely everything you can think of to set your second up for success - because her images may bail you out. Share your reception notes, and plan out who will be where, shooting what, when. Make sure you each have the equipment you will need.

3 - Pay close attention to detail. It gets said all the time... but too few really do it. So if there's a neat flower arrangement, take a picture of it. And paying attention to detail also means thinking about angles, lighting, perspective, etc. When I shoot at a wedding my mental checklist for every shot is: distance, lens, angle, light, camera (settings). If you consciously think through that short list on each shot, you'll screw very few of them up.

Now, work on gearing up so you can stand on your own two feet, but in the meantime, be glad for the opportunities you're being given, and don't get greedy.

Good luck!

As a studio owner I won't subcontract....way too risky. All the photography is outside your personal control. I have worked for several studios though and never had a contract.

In this case you can simply suggest what you want and listen to what she will offer and go from there,....or ask her what she's willing to pay, and go from there.....easy peasy.

Have a contract with her. That's my number one recommendation. You BOTH MUST be

covered with a written agreement that clarifies her expectations of you, and your

expectations of her. An additional contract should also be obtained with the bride, of course.