Is it worth buying a Medium Format?

graham_martin2

You certainly are right about what you can do with a $1,000. I did some pricing at KEH on a Mamiya 645e plus accesories and here is what I came up with. Would appreciate any comments as to what I should add or delete. Thanks

1) 645 E BODY WITH 120 INSERT MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERA BODY EX+ $275.00

2) 220 INSERT EX $14.00

3) 45 F2.8 (77) MANUAL FOCUS WIDE ANGLE LENS BGN $149.00

4) FRONT 77 SNAP-ON CAP EX $12.00

5)BEATTIE INTENSCREEN PLUS WITH GRID (SUPER, PRO), BGN $45.00

6) 645 E INSTRUCTION BOOK EX $14.00

7)AE PRISM N (SUPER) BGN $84.00

8) SV AE REFLEX FINDER FK402 (PRO) BGN $79.00

Total Amount: $672.00

Pentax 645 is the answer to both your concerns. It's the only MF system (afaik) that has mirror dampening to reduce mirror slap making it more handholdable than the competition. See <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/645-mlu.shtml">this page</a>. Cost-wise, the first gen 645 (manual focus only) is around $300 used on ebay, usually including a 75mm 2.8 lens, often in great condition, and other lenses are more affordable than the other brands like Mam, Hassy, etc. All the Pentax 645 lenses are reputed to be great optical and build quality, and typically are around $150 or under. You truly can get a decent kit together with a couple of lenses for around $600. They also have Program mode to behave more like a 35mm, and not all the other brands have that. In all likelihood, you could even get a 645N kit together and have autofocus on one of the two lenses for under $1000, but those cameras don't come up as often as the first-gen 645.

I have a Mamiya 645, Mamiya 7 II, a Nikon F100, Nikon F5, and a Canon P&S digital. I shot some 6x7 chromes in Switzerland last October that are stunning! I had 11x14 Cibachromes printed, and you wouldn't believe the quality.

35mm is great for sports, kids, parties, some portraits. MF is the best. When digital rivals MF film, I will convert.

Whats up with Bronica ETRS? Its very popular and reasonably priced the lenses are great too. The later ETRSi has MLU and it flash syncs at all speeds with its leaf shutters. Ive been steadily building up a kit from ebay bargains and Ive become a big fan of medium format.

In looking at the Bronica, which I liked for the reasons you mention, I see that they are priced higher on KEH than Pentax. Right now this would be an exploratory purchase and so I don't want to spend over $1,000, but $400-$500 would make me happier. If you look on eBay, Mamiya is second only to Hasselblad in terms of number of cameras and parts (986) compared to only 216 for Bronica. Of course, Pentax only had 162 listings.

It was based on accesory availability that I was drawn to the Mamiya. However, the Pentax does have somewhat of a price advantage.

"unless you have a dedicated scanner to scan with, 645 will not be a huge improvement over your current equipment. You should try 6x6 or 6x7 to really see the difference."

Strange maths. 645 is 3x the size of 35mm. 67 is about 60% bigger than 645. 645 is a great improvement on 35mm and a jump well worth making if thats what you want to carry/pay for and if you want a camera that handles more like a 35mm. As it happens I use 6x6 and 67- but thats because I prefer those image formats not because 645 isn't a worthwhile jump.

You know, I think I am over analyzing this. Time to just do it. I am going to buy that Pentax 645 because of the price. If I like the results, but maybe find in the future that I would like one with different features then I can probably sell it for close to what I paid for it.

Thanks Sergio

"Strange maths. 645 is 3x the size of 35mm ... 645 is a great improvement on 35mm"

I agree with Anastas actually. Graham mentioned that his current kit includes a D200; 645 on a cheap scanner will produce noticeably inferior images relative to this. That extra film area on 6x7 really does help.

With all due respect to Ken Rockwell, don't listen or be overly influenced by his reviews. He is but one person who has his opinions. Generally I agree with pretty much all of his conclusions. However, I recall reading his review of the Mamiya 7 and there was whining about the size of the rear lens cap. Boy, now that is something to base a purchasing decision on.....

Rockwell's review was, as usual, mixed. While he did complain about the cheap feel of the Mamiya 7, he also said that it was a great camera and that he had won a trip to Hawaii with a picture he had taken with that camera. Poor old Ken, everyone has an opinion of him. Personally I find his reviews quite helpful.

There are other range finders, Fuji's GA 645's are auto focus and auto exposure. They're cool cameras but I like my Fuji GW670II, slows me down a bit but that can be a good thing too. I love digital too, but it is the reason I can finally afford a MF.

"Oh well, I just bought a Pentax 645 on eBay. I got it at a reasonable price. If I don't like it I

will just put it back for auction. However, I do see that one can get both 120 and 220

backs from KEH. Wouldn't that make it interchangeable?"

Welcome the Pentax 645 world Graham. While you can get 120 and 220 backs, there is no

dark slide (or counter) to use to switch the backs. With the low cost (relative) of these

bodies, I just picked up some more bodies for when I want to shoot other types of film. I

have picked up some 645n bodies in rough shape and sent them to Pentax for repair

(includes calibrating shutter and meter) for a reasonable amount.

There are many nice lenses out there for reasonable prices if you wait and watch. One

thing to keep in mind is that you can use Pentax 67 lenses on your 645 body by way of an

adapter. I have one of these and use my Pentax 67 35mm fisheye lense on my 645n body

(as well as 6x7 body). I plan on getting some more 67 series lenses, so that I can use them

on both the 6x7 body and 645 bodies.

So does this mean that with the Pentax 645 I have to use up all the film before changing inserts unlike other makes where you can change mid-stream? Is there an advantage of Pentak 67 lenses over 645s? Also do the 645 lenses come in both manual focus and auto-focus like a 35mm SLR? Why aren't the lenses interchangeable between 645 and 67 in the same way that a Nikon lens can be used on a whole variety of models without an adapter? I'm not knocking the Pentax system. I am just trying to learn the differences between the two formats.

Is there any kind of adapter that will let me use my Nikon lenses on the Pentax camera?

Do not buy the Mamiya 645E, there is no way to tell if you have a 120 roll or a 220 roll. The The Pentax 645 insert is actually part of the back of the camera and you can see the film length written on the insert. I had the 645E, used it at 1 wedding and sold it. About not being able to change film backs, that is not the end of the world, I have a Hasselblad 501 & almost never swap backs mid-roll, just plan ahead, shoot & 120 rolls. I own a Pentax 645 manual focus & love it. Get the Pentax.

Hi Graham,

You must by now be exhausted with the replies, however I would not recommend MF for weddings, the gear is just to heavy and the facilities for " Action " photography do not exist with MF. Having said that if you are interested I would look at the Bronica ETRSi. As regards scanning an Epson flatbed takes a hell of a lot of beating, for price any quality of output, special film holders are available to enhance the scanner and are not to expensive.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Adrian.

P.S. I have had Imacon and a Nikon LS 8000 but would without hesitation recommend an Epson flatbed for speed and performance.

Thanks Adrian

I went ahead and biught a Pentax 645 manual focus including a 75mm lens for under $400. It only has had 10 rolls of film through it so it is virtually brand new. I'm just now running my first roll of 220 film through it. The Bronica was also one that I had been considering, but the price on this one seemed a good way to get my feet wet without spending too much.

I'm bidding on a 135mm leaf shutter lens, but am not sure yet how to operate the shutter. I'm going to have to see if I can find some instruction somewhere.

I have a Canon flatbed scanner that has film and slide holders. I have to go and find them. We moved recently, and things tend to get lost.

• 1 month later...