Deposits?

matt_k1

We require deposits/retainers for weddings, but do you all also require a deposit for other photo shoots?

Non-commercial portrait commissions, professional/corporate headshots, event coverage, etc...? I've not

been asking for it, but had a couple issues with flakes in the past few months.

Every job has a contract, contract number and a proportional advanced payment: except . . .

We have two long standing commercial customers (+ 10 years) who do not pay a proportion of a contracted price in advance.

Both have always paid at the completion of the shoot with a cheque, and upon delivery of the goods with a cheque.

These are the only two exceptions we have.

(Apart from any pro bono contracts)

WW

I don't require normal photo shoots to pay a deposit to hold a date. I don't even require they pay me half after the initial shoot is over. I do require half before I post any proofs online though for them to review. Once that is paid, I require the final payment before I deliver their enlargements. This has always worked very well for me.

The "deposit" is up to you. For example, if you are the one to shoot the local high school football team, group and individuals, you would have to be nearly out of your mind to try and collect 85 deposits before shooting. (The coach is not a banker, nor does he want to get involved....the parents buy if you have good images.)

A wedding is different, and a deposit is the general rule of the day.

RE: [. . .] if you are the one to shoot the local high school football team, group and individuals, you would have to be nearly out of your mind to try and collect 85 deposits before shooting. [. . .]

To further explain my post above.

In such a circumstance our contract for the shoot would be written pro bono, i.e. taking the pictures would involve no fee, but payment for the prints would be pre paid.

Aside note: we still have a physical contract and a contact number etc. for the shoot.

WW