Photography , Golf and Weddings

david_byrne

I was shooting a wedding on Saturday and found myself rushing to get shots done

on a very tight schedule. The weather was changing for the worse and the

pressure was on. Looking back on the shots there are alot of images where the

framing was very amateurish. I'm starting to think that wedding photography is a

bit like golf. If you rush your shot or don't pause to think about what you are

doing you end up slicing or missing the ball completely.

Is there anything that you guys do to force you to slow down, despite a hectic

wedding situation, and put more thought into your composition?

I'm thinking of getting back to using my hand held meter more just to force me

to slow down and think before pressing the shutter, the in camera metering is so

good on the 1D MkII it nearly lets you work too quickly....

Hey, I have no answers, but I feel your pain! Saturday we had exactly the same problem, and it was my first. We were doing it under a little gabezo in the park, and there was plenty of room for everyone to stand, and the judge made sure I had enough room for pictures. Well, that didn't last, as the wind and drizzle started up, and all of a sudden everyone had to be under the gabezo. Then it cleared up, and we started the pictures of everyone, only to have to really hurry, or we were going to get very wet.

I guess my answer is, was there anyone there at the wedding who could have done a better job? Nope, so you do what you can, and remember we are our worst critics.

Taking a deep breath and concentrating is the only thing to do. It does help to understand that ten good images are better than thrity crummy ones.

Beeing calm is the thing that I feel most sets an experienced photog apart from the beginner. No one knows if there could have been more or different but most know if there are poor quality. The memory of clients only includes the optimal they forget the 200% humidity and the temperature and only want to know why there are not more romatic outdoor shots.

EDIT is my suggestion, both during the shoot, edit your impulse and get to the heart of the groupings and keep moving and edit your images so that only the best are there and they will carry the day.

Brooke

I like the golf analogy, not a big fan of the game but I think it illustrates the point well. I also have problem with rushing pictures. The photog I work with tells me to "stalk the photograph". As I put the camera on my eye I ask myself "What am I about to take a picture of?", and after I press the shutter I ask myself "What did I just take a picture of?" (and expect a real answer... not, "The Bride, duh!") It's sort of like mental chimping, it slows me down enough without blinding me to my surroundings.

Second, I draw a line in the sand limit on the number of cards I will shoot. During a 4 hour wedding and reception I try to limit myself shooting RAW on my 20D to one 2GB Card, about 200 pictures. Keep in mind, I'm a second shooter and have a lot to learn, so you will want to adjust your numbers, and there are still times I make the decision to overshoot. Overall, it's just a guide to help me remember to take my time and make each shot count as if I were shooting film.

I hope this helps.

Proper time scheduling is the main thing for me. I get very involved in the schedule of the day. A couple weeks before the wedding I talk with the bride and go over every detail, I.E. who needs to be where, when, how many minutes for group shots (after I receive a list), etc.

I typically have an extra 15 minutes "buffer" built in to each section. If the weather looks iffy, and we are planning to do all the shots after the ceremony, I may try do get what I can before the ceremony, just to ease the pressure.

Having these short 15 minute saftey margins scattered throughout the day comes in handy.

I think the most important thing is just plain practice. You will learn how long it takes to do X amount of shots, what to look for and pay attention to, and you will develop more confidence.

I think a well worked out system that includes how many shots of each grouping, what your general camera setting preferences are, what your assistant will or won't be doing, etc. helps. You are first. You are in charge of the whole situation, you are the leader.

With this attitude, you instil confidence in others, they trust you know what you are doing, are more cooperative, and will work with you if you need to change things around a bit because of situations outside of your control.

Basically, have a plan for every mishap. I ask the bride to have the personal attendant to have the cell number of each person in the wedding party, and the other vendors numbers. I try to plan the shots of the flower girl or ring bearer towards the end of the wedding party shots, knowing that they tend to be late frequently.

I make sure the bride schedules an extra 1/2 hour or so between after hair and MU is done, and before I start the Getting Ready shots, knowing that hair and MU frequently runs late.

I make sure any formal shots are done 15 minutes before the location says they need to be done.

With a proper schedule, some slack time built in, and resourses in case something goes wrong, a lot of practice and confidence, things will go smoothly. You will not be rushed and will be able to concentrate.

The end result is fewer and better shots.

I wouldn't get rushed by circumstances beyond my control. If you feel panicked settle down and get quality over quantity. When the weather, or anything else, gives you lemons try your best to make lemonade.

The best advice I have heard for taking pictures is "Do the first editing with your eye."

Before you press the shutter, ask yourself, "Is this a shot that will make it in the final cut of images?" If not, don't take it. Simple.

Sure sometimes you need to take a chance or two and rattle off a couple of frames hoping for the best, but that is an exception.

Some shots require thought (and here I'm thinking primarily formals and portraits) while some shots can only be captured in the flow of the moment. The former are best served by pre-planning, allowing as much time as possible, and possibly an assistant to take care of details (lightstands, tripod, reflectors, etc.) while you concentrate on the photograph. The latter require experience -- knowing how people act and react, where they are moving, where the light is, etc. This comes with time and also with your abilities to observe and remember. For these shots, if you take the time to think about your composition you're too late and the shot is gone. You have to be at the right place, at the right time, with your camera ready.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to be able to switch between these two ways of shooting when covering a wedding. Trying to slow down the pace of a fast-moving express train of a wedding is not easy, however ("We have ten minutes to get to the reception or the caterer will be mad at me!"). Calmness, like yawning, is infectious and I stay very visibly calm and relaxed while telling the bride things like "you're the bride -- they're not going to do anything until you get there".

Agree with Marc St. Onge. If you slow yourself down too much and get out of the intuitive way of seeing, you miss shots. If you are talking about being pressured only, that is another story. Every wedding will have moments of pressure--yesterday the groom was not patient with being photographed, and the wedding coordinator was standing close by, tapping her foot, yet I knew the bride wanted some good posed shots. So I had to make everything I did count. What I do is to mentally rein myself in--zen like--and go inward. Somehow, what comes out is the appropriate state of calm and a plan for making the most of the time I have. Don't know how or why. Maybe it is experience and practice, like David said.

Proper planning with the bride is essential so you aren't too restricted. If you let a bride know how much time you'll need, she'll understand. She wants good shots, too! I've also found that if I feel rushed, everyone else does too. You are essentially in charge of the pace (especially for formals and such), so engage them and start having fun with it. You'll find things will slow themselves down and you'll enjoy the day much more. Good luck!!! :o)

This happens to all of us some of the time, Just as others said, before you shoot, take a few seconds & look at the frame before you shoot. I am a long time medium format film shooter & shoot 75% digital now, one thing I learned from film (about $1.00 per shot) is to take that extra seconds to look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...