What do you think?

stacy

Well it is still a very appealing image. And it depends on the purpose, the curtain is very 'now' so it will place the portrait in an historical context. I think what I like is the boy's expression (and those goggles of course!) so I suppose in that respect the curtain is not 'make or break' for me. Nice curtain though :-)

To me it breaks it. I feel it could be left in the shot as it's interesting to see that the little kid is kind of hidding behind it. But there are two thing I don't like about it, and they both relate to the importance or weight of it's presence.

First it's black and white and that is a strong element, so it attracts too much attention (a distraction from the main subject which is the little kid).

Second, the end of the curtain is almost on the vertical line (imaginary line, rule of thirds) and located in that right area of the shot. That's an area where my eye is naturally attracted instead of the main subject which is right in the middle of the shot. So again, the first thing that really attracts my attention when i first look at the picture is that curtain instead of the kid.

But it's a personnal opinion only. It's very hard to debate composition and it's often is a question of personnal taste.

First off, if the curtain is a prop that helps you get a worthwhile moment out of the kid

that you wouldn't get otherwise, then it makes the photo. That's more important than any

compositional issues.

Second, you could crop that side of the photo a little harder. I understand why the curtain

is there (because he's hiding behind it), but it's got a little more graphic weight than it

needs.

For future reference, I'd also suggest a background wall that's a few shades darker, so that

the fleshtones popped harder from the background, right now junior is blending with the

wall.

The kid is cute, I like the goggles.

Hmmm- ok. I guess I was wrong.

I submitted this photo to the guy who handles my stock photos and he was of the opinion that the photo does not work because of the curtain. I think it does work with the curtain because it makes the little boy look sneaky and up to something...and the whole reason we got that expression was because of the curtain- plus- I love the curtain and it's strong graphics :) I talked him into taking it anyway so I guess we'll just have to see if it ever sells...

And Tom- I swear I'm not making people wear the goggles (anymore)- now they just request the goggles :)

Thanks so much for looking everyone!

I don't think it is the curtain that breaks the photo, it is the PATTERN in the curtain. That

currently is the major design element in the photo, when I think you want the child to be

the main focus. My first inclination would be to try it with a black curtain and add some

color to the child's clothes. Possibly light the child from the right to get an alternating

dark/light pattern. Lots of ways to experiment here!

<p><i>"Hmmm- ok. I guess I was wrong.</i></p>

<p>Well, I don't think you were wrong. Like I said composition has some basic rules but it depends very much on personnal taste as well. I think the shot is excellent for the moment captured; the face of the subject. It's original and funny. And yes you are right, the curtain is an important piece of the shot. It's needed as it helps to convey the message that he's shy a little bit but also curious about something.</p>

<p>The personnal opinion I was giving is that the curtain (again, in my opinion) was just too much important based on the reasons I gave. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the shot though. And I do like the colour as well. Black and white photos are nice but I like it more for serious portraits, close headshots and such. Not funny and lively material like this. So colour is the best choice here I think.</p>

<p>However what I did here (as a suggestion), was to crop the shot a bit to give less importance to the curtain. It also brought back the face of the subject on both vertical and horizontal lines (rule of thirds again). When I look at this shot, the first thing that immediately attracts my eye is the face of the subject and the expression he has. There is no way around it, that's what I see immediately. The curtain is still present and is an important element, but it doesn't take over the importance of the main subject.</p>

<p>You may like this version or not. Here's what I would have done with the shot, a simple crop adjustment. Nothing to change with the actual photo itself as I think it is a very good shot that could be used for profit.</p><div>00LHJi-36674284.jpg.c24a7b6870f71561adab626b59f6fe3e.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...