elevated square to building subject at 100-ISO,...I usually have to refocus

several times before it is accurate or use continuous servo.. 24mm is better

and 28...35 perfect... the Tokina has no such problems but at the 20mm end the

shutter will not fire unless I switch to continuous servo.. weird or not ?? my

other nikon lenses DX G type AF-S 18-70 (ok all settings) D 80-200 2.8 and

Tokina AT-X 28-80 2.8 are all unaffected I thought that the drive pin was

probably the problem but my D lenses work ok. focussing manually is an answer

but why should I ?? is the problem within the D200 itself..bought 6 months ago

serial number starts with 8023XXX any ideas Andy.

Once I dropped my 17-55mm DX lens attached to my DSLR body inside a padded camera bag. Afterwards, that lens showed exactly the same symptoms as what you describe. I tested it on several DSLR bodies and it had the same problem on all of them.

It turns out that the impact slightly bent the lens mount on the lens. I sent my lens back to Nikon for "warranty" repair, but they quickly determined the problem, correctly. I paid $135 to get the mount fixed.

Whether your lenes have a similar problem I don't know. I would test them on other Nikon DSLR bodies and if that is consistent, I would get the lenses checked.

Thanks for your answer Wyatt.

.I have already mentioned that manual focus is no probem. also, the diopter setting while in auto-focus mode would be irrelevent.

I have set the D200 and lens to autofocus single servo, centre spot focus lock on so it will only focus using the centre area.

Andy

Andy, I hope you have some friends with D200 bodies. After I dropped my lens, I tried it on two other D2X bodies and it showed the same problem but it appeared to work fine on my D100.

I would also try some test shots with some background details at or near infinity. See this thread when I described the damage on my 17-55 and the sample image I posted on 19th November, 2005. On the screen, the left side is sharp but the right side is soft:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EEyl

Hi Shun..thanks, will try that...but I am still wondering why it is ok in manual focus, (green focus dot also lights up on all bodies)...I still think this could be a D200 issue with certain W/A zooms that require the focus pin activation.

will post answer soon..Andy

Any AF problem could potentially be either a lens issue or body problem, or some specific combination issue. What I am trying to point out is to do as much home testing as possible to determine where the problem is. If you indeed have access to another D200 body, that can help a lot.

If you cannot figure out the problem yourself, you might need to send everything, body and lens, to a repair shop for adjustment. In this case since one of the lenses is a Tokina. I don't think Nikon repair will touch it.

Andy,

Doesn't sound like a lens problem. I have had focus and image quality problems with my "new" d200 also. The night before last Nikon technical and I were on the phone for 3 to 4 hours discussing a sporadic focus issue with a new Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 lens and a Nikkor 180mm f2.8 older lens, using the new 17-55mm f2.8 lens, the Nikon tech directed me in shooting test shots around the studio. Afterwards we up-loaded the test shots to Nikon. To summarize the conclusion of our conversation, The Tech said, I see the problem. Then It was determined I needed to send my d200 in for repair. I have a real problem with sending a "new" body in for repair.

SN# 3124xxx

Hi Jim...I think you are right..I did a test for focus accuracy using the usual chart at 45 deg to plain...again it was intermittent ...you will notice the back focus issue and the acceptable focus test done immediatly after each other...I will contact nikon who are 4 miles away from me thank goodness....if your D200 was faulty when bought, you should try and get a replacement from the dealer ?

I think I may be having a similar issue with my new D200 (purchased about 2 weeks ago).

I finally had a chance to go out and shoot some photos on Saturday. Went to a couple of little league games, mid-day, perfectly sunny. I was using my Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 (from around 2000... ED, but not newer VR or DX). This lens has always worked fine with my F100 in the past.

Anyway, I was experimenting with autofocus CH, using all of the focus zones, etc. shooting bursts, and single shots. At the time it seemed like it was focusing quickly, and no problems, and the LCD pictures looked fine too.

Upon viewing full size on my PC, it seemed like the sharp focus zone was a couple of feet or more behind the person I was focusing on (i.e. pitcher going through his windup). almost all of the pictures are slightly soft on the players face/head where I was focused, and by looking at the dirt on the ground, the sharpest focus was a couple of feet behind the player on the backside of the mound, or even the far grass fringing the mound.

Is there some inherent issue with the D200, or some kind of calibration issue between the D200 and this lens? This lens is fine with other cameras, and I really don't want to fork out $1500 more the current version of the same lens.

I'll take some test shots tonight (I don't have the focus card shown in previous posts, but I figure a railing going away at 45 degrees would do the trick). The camera is under 2 weeks old, so should I look at having them replace it? (Wolf Camera)

You might want to take a look at this previous thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Jp2N

And the Thom Hogan review it references:

http://www.bythom.com/d200review.htm

Personally, I haven't had my D200 for very long and I don't use it often, so my experience with it is somewhat limited. But I haven't had any AF problems with it myself so far. When I first got it, I tested it with a couple of long teles and it checked out fine.

Andrew, I tested my D200 with a couple of super teles and used it a bit during a recent trip to Brazil. I also ran some quick tests last night. So far, I haven't encountered any problems, but my tests are not that thorough.

Please make sure that your Custom Setting a3, focus area, is set to normal, 11 AF poitns instead of the wide, 7 AF-point mode.

• 4 weeks later...
just thought I would update my situation..I tried a nikkor 17-55 afs 2.8 dx g that came from greys of westminster..I was so impressed with the results at all settings across the whole image that it is now my constant companion...the d200 focus works the best it ever has..the results are spectacular...it would appear therefore that my d200 is in love with the dx types at the wider end. so be it..I have sold the others.