Chinese Wrist strap

I'm looking for a wrist strap for my MP. I'm trying to avoid the $50 from

buying one from Luigi (I know his are worth it, but the rent's due) I found

this one on auction and wondered if anyone had used it. Item #320116335104 I'm

sure it won't be up to Mr. Crescenzi's standards, but perhaps it will be OK for

now.

To answer your question, no, I haven't, but I did find my own solution that works well and

costs almost nothing. I got about a foot of 3/4 inch wide nylon webbing from an

outdoors store, took it next door to the shoe repair who sewed it with 2 loops (for wrist

and split ring), put the split ring on it and presto! One could hang a bit off the end to

protect the camera from scratching if desired. I'm sure the shoe repair could have done it

in leather for me for me, had I desired.

I use the Chinese straps on my M3 and one of my M7 bodies - the other M7 has a neck strap. The Chinese straps are fine. They aren't anywhere near as good as Luigi's, but they are more than adequate, and very cheap. One of mine arrived with a metal split ring included, the other did not.

I conditioned the straps with several applications of pure neatsfoot oil before using them on the cameras, and they are now soft and supple.

I'm a user of the chinese straps, they are fine, just a lttle bit stiff, but as they age that will change (I hope). I also use a couple of the original Leica straps (synthetic, not leather) and the chinese are at least as comfortable as them.

I sometimes use a wrist strap but fasten it to the tripod socket. I tried an appliance that fastened to the strap lug with a split ring and the tension loosened the lug, necessitating that it be re-anchored. Since then I have avoided straps the fasten to a SINGLE lug. Straps that fasten to both lugs should pose no problem but the lugs on modern Leicas are just set in the socket and upset on the other side. Excess stress on the wrist strap can pull the lug out of the body. Avoiding such appliances is recommended.

I've read on previous posts that using the tripod socket as a wrist strap attachment point is potentially harmful. I always carry my camera with the strap wrapped around my arm, with essentially all the weight on one lug. The reason I want to go to the wrist strap is that the neck strap frequently gets in the way when I bring the camera to my eye from being wrapped around my arm. Can anybody confirm whether it's harmful to use the single lug wrist strap? I'm pretty set on the idea, maybe I'll try it out a lot before my passport warranty runs out.

wrist straps are fine.

i use them and have used them for years and never had a lug come loose, let alone fall out.

but then, i use a grip as well and that is where all the tension is, the wrist strap is insurance for being jostled or in the rare event i need my hand for a second and let the camera dangle (maybe twice a year).

joe

Since the tripod socket on a Leica is on the end it is doubtful that a wrist strap anchored there could exert as much torque as mounting on the tripod! However, my lug 'pull-out' was not caused by a wrist strap but by another 'appliance' that was supposed to obviate the need for an attached 'grip' or neckstrap.

i have a tripod mount wrist strap from gordy (see jonathan k's post). it is well made, cheap, and was delivered promptly. no lug issues and he makes them to fit the end tripod mount or the center tripod mount if you have an m-grip.

Wow, I actually know this guy who makes the straps personally, he is a really nice person and a leica addict himself. He runs a garment factory so he really knows his stuff.

I have two wrist straps from him, one black and one brown both sans the leica logo. Works great but a little too big for people with smaller hands. They do soften with prolonged use,as seen on my example, but this is all a matter of taste.

My other one currently serves on a Nikon FA with a AF35-70/2.8 lens attached, quite a bit of weight and I dont think a one-lug strap is going to hurt anything.<div>00LIrI-36714984.jpg.01f95c5578909b0007fa340ec7bde7eb.jpg</div>