Nikon 500/8 sigma 600/8 or vivitar 600/8 series 1

yang_yan

i remembered posting some threads abt this but somehow it disappeared.

anyway, I need some recommendations between these 3 lenses.

the vivitar lens in question is the solid mirror lens.

nikon lens is the 1968 version (not the macro one)

Here in photo.net, there was a major database corruption on Wednesday night, June 6. That was why this site was down for several hours yesterday morning. System administration managed to recover the forums from a back up from around May 26 or so. Therefore, all forum posts between the 11 days from May 26 and July 6 are lost at this point. As far as I know, they are still attempting to recover the lost posts but it is not clear that will be successful.

See this thread for more information:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00LRWg

On behalf of photo.net, I apologize for any inconvenience this major database problem may cause.

Years ago, a friend had the Nikon 500mm f/8.0 and I had the Tokina 500mm f/8.0. Shooting the lenses side-by-side I couldn't see a difference in optical quality.

Here's a post on the Tokina lens:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ETm0

I don't know about the Sigma, but the Tokina is much smaller and lighter than the Nikon and Vivitar Series 1 lenses, so it can be hand-held when need be. Also, the Tokina lens generally sells used on *bay for under $100, while the Nikkor sells in the $300-600 range.

If you look at my images here, there last one of the gorilla was shot hand-held with a Tokina 500mm mirror.

I also owned a Sigma 600mm f/8. Very sharp, very well built, but you need to insure a steady hold/high shutter speed.

If I was serious about using a mirror lens, and it was a used one I was buying, I'd probably send it into the factory techs to get it re-collimated.

• 3 months later...