Question People that Own 70-200 2.8L IS

dcheung

My question deals with flare with this lens.

I've always shot this lens with the hood on when I'm outside. However, this

weekend, due to space issues in the camera bag, it would be a huge hassle to

bring the hood. I will be shooting outdoors while hiking during the day. The

question is, how bad is the flare in this lens when shooting outside without the

hood? With the hood, I've never had a problem with flare, but don't have

experience shooting it outdoors without hood.

I normally would test this on my own but it's over cast right now and starting

to get dark where I live so I can't put the sun close to the edge of the frame

and do some test shots.

Anyone tested this before or can help answer my question?

You won't see any diff except when a strong light source is in or just out of the image area.

Honestly I find my hat or hand works better than the supplied hood...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I like to live dangerously. My lenses and cameras are butt naked (lost most of my hoods

anyway). Furthermore, I don't wear a seatbelt and never wear a raincoat on a date. But, alas, I

normally use a tripod or monopod with heavy rigs.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

In terms of space, it's the width or diameter that concerns me. With the hood, the lens is much wider, no matter if it's reversed on the lens or not. It doesn't fit into the pouch that I want to put it in right now if I keep the lens hood on. The pouch isn't wide enough.

I'm gonna try to take some test shots with a light bulb in a bit.

Thanks for the comments so far. Keep them coming. I'm guessing a light bulb test is probably not sufficient since the difference in EV between the SUN and a properly exposed scene is way bigger than the difference between a light bulb and the room.

<p><i>On top of all this: the hood is a great way to avoid lens damage.</i></p><p>Wow. That's almost as bad as saying that you lose image quality every time you reopen a JPEG. It's also as flawed as thinking that a half-helmet will protect you in a motorcycle crash. Won't do anything for the half of your head that is not covered.</p><p>A hood will only <i>help</i> protect the <i>front</i> of the lens <i>if</i> the object about to cause damage is bigger than the opening of the hood. It's not going to do anything for something hitting your lens from the side, nor will it help with something smaller than the opening of the hood hitting your lens through said opening.</p>

Jon Austin, I suppose that a solution in your world of infinite money, time and space. The rest of us have real world issues to deal with.

John M's comment about blocking rain drops has convinced me to bring the hood. Weather calls for rain :( so keeping the lens drip free is important.

Thx for the comments people.

M. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had this lens hanging off my camera, hanging around my neck, reach to pick something up and have the hood touch the surface in front of me instead of the lens housing or glass.

Weiyang, if you don't use the hood and you miss the perfect shot or damage the front of you lens you're going to wish you brought a bigger bag.

Jamie, I believe it. However, that's nearly the only scenario (also a directly perpendicular fall or bumping against a wall) where it would offer much protection. I'm not advising against using one -- just advocating for recognizing the limitations of the protections it affords. I can't begin to tell you how many times I (or my car) has been hit by projectiles from lawn mowers in my neighborhood, including gravel, for instance.

To begin with, I'm not sure if you should take that lens with you. I do mountain trekking from time to time and that lens is definitely not something I would consider - not due to size but weight. If you do trekking often, perhaps it's worth getting the 70-300 DO lens. Perfect tele lens for trekking.

So I ended up taking the hood and it was definitely useful cuz it rained a lot. The hood kept the front element from being saturated with water drops.

Ya, I have considered getting a different lens for trekking. I had the 70-300 IS or 70-200 f4 IS in mind. This weekend though, the weather proofing of the 2.8 IS definitely gave me confidence to use it outside. It got pretty wet and it's still fine.

thanks ppl