Nikon D 50 and 50mm 1.8 autofocus

amy cupp

Your photos look very nice, is the 50mm new? We could throw out random possible causes, but more information would be helpful. Is the focus area getting bumped off center, or off your intended area? Are you using your intended focus mode? Is the shallow depth of field an issue? You probably can rule out my suggestions quickly. It's hard to guess without more info.

Yes, I've had problems with it. It appears that the 50/1.8AFD is one of the few lenses that can be turned too far when you keep the lens release button pressed while it's being mounted on the camera body. Turn it back/forth till the lens release button really clicks.

I do not have the lens in front of me right now, but as I recall, I think you need to take the f/stop all the way down (f/22?) and then move the tab on the lens (I think there's a red dot there) before it will engage AF -- of course, if I were at home, holding the lens, I could better explain it.

Thanks guys. I will play around with it somemore. I know what you mean about the red dot. I kept trying to change the fstop there instead of on the camera and was wondering what the heck was wrong. That was user error : )