Flash setup for macro on D80?

paulo_noronha

I've owned this camera for 4 months now and am getting more and more into macro

photography. I've already got Tamron's 180mm macro lens and I'm thinking of

buying an external flash, since the built-in sometimes casts shadows or just

doesn't seem to be enough for my photos.

I do think the best option would be to afford the R1 kit, but it is quite

expensive for my budget. Moreover, I fear the SB-R200 flashes of this systems

may not be that useful for other more simple, everyday uses such as simply

photographing friends at home. I've therefore spent some thought on buying

another external flash, as mentioned, because of the price and versatility. From

what I understood, I am able to flash it wirelessly from the camera control, am

I right?

So my questions, in the end, are:

1) Are my assumptions on the SB-R200's lack of versatility correct?

2) Should I save to buy the R1 kit or prefer another flash?

3) If I should opt for some other external flash, which one would be

recommended, with a good price and ability to be flashed wirelessly?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The SB-600 or the SB-800 can be controlled wireless from your camera. Both are versatile, but in the long run, the SB-800 is far more so. Especially if you want to use it on-camera sometimes, in normal everyday shooting. Fantastic units. To use with a macro setting, you'd likely need to rig up some near-camera diffusion to help mitigate the directional shadows if you don't like them. The round-the-lens style macro-specifc units are certainly useful for that purpose, but are essentially useless for all other routine uses.

I was thinking of the SB-600, it really seems to be the best option. I live in Germany, and the best prices I found are:

SB-600 - 190 EUR / SB-800 - 300 EUR / Sigma EM 140 DG Ring flash - 310 EUR / R1 kit - 420 EUR

I do think a ring flash or macro setup would be have the best overall performance for macro, but for my first external flash, I think I'd rather buy something more versatile (not to mention much cheaper) and maybe go for the kit later if I find I really need it. Why wouldn't one SB-800/600 cut it? If it's for the shadows, a diffuser should help, shouldn't it?

I use the SB600 and the R1C1 kit on the D80.

If you decide to go for the (excellent) macro flash kit, I would urge you to go for the R1C1 over the R1 kit - the SU800 commander (although not essential with the D80) makes it so much more user friendly and gives increased wireless range; even if you decide you don't need the SU800 you can sell it on for a lot more than the difference in the cost of the two kits.

Regarding the SB200 - the main downside is that they do not fit in the hotshoe; but they come with a stand that can also be attached to a standard tripod screw. They are lower powered, but still have enough output to be fairly useful for portraits etc in smaller rooms, and great for providing fill-in lighting.

Having said all that, if you want a flash more for general photography, with occasional macro use, you might be better off getting the SB600 first. I find the SB600 preferable to the SB800 due to it's more compact size and simplified control layout (compared to the SB800) unless you absolutely need the extra (about 1 stop) power of the SB800.

I find the combination of the R1C1 and the SB600 covers all my needs. In general shooting the SB600 is the main flash with the SBR200s providing fill; in macro the 200s are the main lights and the 600 can light the background.

'Why wouldn't one SB-800/600 cut it? If it's for the shadows, a diffuser should help, shouldn't it?'

Yes I quite agree with you; when you move the flash close to your subject it becomes less directional anyway (less of a point source), a diffuser will help - a Stofen one on the SB600 works great; probably just as/more useful will be a home made reflecter eg made from tin foil/ white board etc.

I would avoid the ring flash option (especially at that price). If you don't mind shooting in manual it is pretty easy to make up a macro rig for very little cost making use of budget end flashes with PC cords.

The only problem you might encounter with the SB600 for macro is it may be too powerful very close up. Using the built in 'wide flash adapter' (which will also set the zoom to the widest position) will help and can also be used in conjunction with the Stofen diffuser https://sslrelay.com/s156287941.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=1547b423e103fbf/shopdata/index.shopscript - I'm sure others will recommend other diffusers, but I find that one works fine for me; I also occasionally use some white gauze material over the flash head as a diffuser.

<i>The only problem you might encounter with the SB600 for macro is it may be too powerful very close up.</i>

<p>

Any iTTL flash, in principle, should not be "too powerful". Problem here would be the quality of light coming from a single direction. This why the ring flashes or something like the R1C1 have an advantage.