Maxwell screen for TOYO 45AX

tony_black1

I just got a Toyo 45ax and was wondering if anybody has used maxwell screen

for toyo 45ax? I would like to know if there are any improvements compared to

its original fresnel screen?

i mostly do night time photography and need the most bright screen in the

world. thanks.

I can't comment on the Toyo screen.

<br>I replaced my Ebony fresnel by a Maxwell HILUX screen (one piece of plastic, combination of matte and fresnel), which is at least 1 stop brighter than the original Ebony fresnel screen. The Maxwell screen provides even illumination from wide angle to long lenses (80 to 450, in my case), but it has to be said, that with both fresnel screens, fine-focusing wide angle lenses in the very corners is difficult (at least for me).

<p>You might want to have a look at "Beattie Intenscreens" (http://www.display-optics.com/products_bettie-intenscreen.htm) or "Brightscreens" (www.brightscreens.com).

<br>I have to leave it to others to comment on these screens.

Hello, Tony.

I have been using a Toyo 45AX for several years, now. Doing a lot of photography at dawn

and dusk, I have found that the OEM screen is adequate. Of course, that means that I focus

at maximum aperture and stop down for the actual exposure. The danger with that

technique is that you will experience a focus shift at the smaller aperture. Since most of

my work is done with wide-angle lenses (65mm to 90mm) focus shift has not been a

problem for me. I suggest you try the focus screen that came with your camera to see if it

can handle your work before you shell out for an expensive Beattie or Maxwell screen.

Toyo makes pretty good stuff.

well, the original fresnel screen is ok for daytime but for nite time its a pain in the neck to focus. i spoke to jim from mpex and he told me the maxwell is the best. i think i will get it , cause its something very important. for $250 i dont want to risk my pics. thanks.