Looking for suggestions: Canon Rebel XTi or Nikon D40x

I am finally making the transition to digital and looking at the Canon Rebel XTi as well as the Nikon D40x.

I would like suggestions on which one to go with. I would classify myself as an experienced amateur but

looking for outside opinions on this decision. Currently, I have a Nikon N65 film camera with one lense so

I don't have a lot of Nikon equipment that would justify purchasing the D40x. Also, I was told that the

Rebel, since it uses compact flash, is prone to bent pins. I couldn't tell if the person was trying to make a

Nikon sell or if they were being genuine. Is this a concern I should consider when making my decision?

Thanks.

I wouldn't let the CF card make or break your decision. Anyone who takes reasonable care in seating a card will never have a problem (reasonable, primarily, translates to not jabbing the card in, and making sure that you don't have one of the card edge-connector holes clogged up with something).

Both are nice cameras. Nikon does NOT have internal focusing motor, so the lenses you might have will be quite useless, which means you will have to start from zero again. OTOH, XTi seems very plasticky. Both brands have a wide range of lenses at similar prices. My advice is to try them both and see wich one is more comfortable to you. I would also include D80 in the game.

By the way, I ended up with a Nikon D40 (not "x")...

I cannot see that somebody using reasonable care should have problems with compact flash because the card fits into guides and only contacts pin-to-hole over the last part of insertion. My bent pins [once] came from a silly miniature USB socket in a camera, not the card, ironically the camera uses XD cards :-)

So I changed to a card reader which is faster anyway.

Afterthought $1... I have CF cards for both Canon and Nikon cameras these past five or so years without any trouble. #2 While the lens is the critical part of a DSLR I would also consider the DSLRs with image stabilisation built into the bodies rather than having to buy it for each lens.

one thing you have to think is hierarchy is that the XTi is more advance then the D40x. So if we go accordingly to hierarchy this is how it goes.

XT D50

XTi D80

30D D200

The d40 is out of reaching the D50 which has been discontinued. But If you look at XTi it is more advanced then the D40x which i think is for people trying to start the DSRL world or comsumers that want to own a camera that has lenses, like my granpa, he has a minolta due to that it had better picture quality then regular P7S film cameras and that you can adjust all the settings in Film. So i think of the D40 as the same type. But if you are more experienced like i am move up to the D80 which is better and has 11 focus points instead of 3 and also has a 10Mp CCD sensor. But the best thing is like owning a D200 since it has the processing unit that the D200 has but slower shutter response as the D40x and uses SD cards that can be up to 8Gb or 6Gb. I think it will fit you better then the D40x. AS far for the lens, you have one...get a body and use your existing lens to save money for a better lens then the one that comes in the kit. And the d80 feels better in the hands =c)

Herman, you are correct about the D80 feeling better in the hand. I just returned from my

local camera shop in the mall. While there, I had the chance to compare the D40/D40x, XTi,

and D80. Overall, the D80 felt much better. When holding the other two, it felt as if my pinky

was left out of all the action. It also felt more solid. :)

and you forget that the D80 packs more power than the D40x. They both have a 10 Mp sensor but the processing engine of the D80 is more stronger and smarter then the D40x. I returned my D50 before the D80 came out so that i can have something closer to semi. And i enjoy it, and as you said it feels more like a real camera and even though its plastic, feels better constructed then the XTi.

Since our discussion has moved to the Nikon D80 (sorta), does the D80 support SDHC

memory cards or just the regular SD memory cards? The Nikon site states SD memory card

for the D80 but I don't know if the two card types are swappable with this camera. :)

it supports both. I shoot with a regular SD SanDisk Ultra II 2Gb

but i have borrowed from a friend a 4GB SDHC and it works fine. The only difference is that you need USB 2.0 or an approved card reader. But i use the one built into my laptop and works fine as long as you have USB 2.0. As far as i know i think it can take up to a SDHC of 6Gb but i know a guy that told me his accepted the 8Gb SDHC one.

• 2 weeks later...
Canon's a good choice, especially if you already have Canon lenses. I've owned my Digital Rebel XT for a couple of years, and have never had a problem with the Compact Flash card or bent pins or anything like that. The only thing I've heard about the D40 that would be a plus compared to the Canon is that the D40 body is a little larger, and a little bit heavier, which is something I personally look for in a DSLR.