Too attached to my pictures

laurenm

I find myself having a realy really hard time hitting the delete button. I'm

editting a baby's first birthday party and while I don't want to present a

couple hundred pictures of a four hour event, I also have a hard time hitting

delete if a shot has an adorable expression but isn't the sharpest or is sharp

but kind of a funny expression.

As a photographer, I know I only want to be presenting my best but how do I stop

getting attached to the emotions and just hit Delete? Does it get easier with time?

Don't delete them. Every photo has imperfections but not every photo captures an emotion or a memory. If the only merit a photo has is sharpness, it's probably worth throwing out. Don't get me wrong, I understand the desire for technical "perfection". Proper technique is important but it's not the ultimate goal of me as a photographer (or me as a viewer).

Sorry Lauren, I don't have a great answer for you.

But, I used to leave in the images that weren't sharp if I loved the emotion or story of the image. And, it never failed, the customer always ordered that one in an 8X10 or Larger. AGGGH! Then I would kick myself for leaving it in. So, now if it is not sharp, it is Gone... no questions. The only exception to this is if it is a critical shot in the story. The only image you have of something very important going on. I don't want those unsharp images representing my work. I don't want them to take that 8X10 and say Oh... Kari took this.

Think of any images sent as portfolio pieces and your Deletes will be much easier to swallow.

Remember that your best images do not make your blurry images look better. It is the exact

opposite. Your lesser images make your stunning ones have less of an impact. So, hit that

delete button.

Many potential photographers I meet with tend to show way too many images in their

portfolios. This is not good. Always show and deliver your best work, because (cliche

coming) one bad apple does spoil the bunch.

Thanks guys. very good answers! I'm trying. In this case, they are friends of the family which possibly makes it more difficult. As someone said, I'm sure it gets easier when I am someday dealing with thousands per week.

Yes, it gets easier. As you get busier, you get better at hitting delete. Pick a number you want to give the client, then give a little more. If you sort through them in Bridge, give the keepers one star. If the final amount is much higher than the goal, hit ctrl/shift/1 which will hide all the 0 stars, then go through them again. This time give the keepers 2 stars. Ctrl/shift/2 to show only the 2 star winners. Do this until you are closer to your goal. No need to give them redundant shots or poorly executed ones that could reflect badly on you.

Thanks Cindy. I wasn't sure how to best utilize the star system. I will try that out.

Michael, I'm leaning toward your advice for now. I'll show x number but keep the throw aways for myself.

As I type, I'm going through some shots from this afternoon of my nephew. This is even tougher! i'll show my sister more than I would someone else just to laugh at the missed ones. But still, I'll keep most "throw aways" to myself

Well there is that expression/ cliche, school of thought regarding what makes a great artist...editing. A good suggestion I once received was to delete the duplicates, really see if you need that shot because the one before and after could be very similar. I would keep the not so sharp ones if they have a good expression or something "magic" about them. I really like deleting the ones that are too similar and that has helped me alot.