Any suggestions would be great. I am learning as I go on this one. Ive been

wanting a better flash forever, and just now was able to get it, so Im going to

play around with it a little more before my next wedding and learn as much as

possible. So any tricks, tips and ideas you can think of that I need to know

would be helpful.

<p>

<em>Moderator note: This is a post from a newcomer that prefers to remain

anonymous for the purpose of not being exposed in google searches - as being

inexperienced in future years once they've become established.

<p>

Anyone else wishing to do this can email the moderator - Mary Ball - to post an

anonymous post.

<p>

Please be civil and helpful. It goes without saying that this person should be

very careful about "experimenting" with new equipment and lack of experience

with paid weddings. It is valid to suggest a newcomer practice long and hard

and even better to try and become an assistant to learn more about wedding

photography and the use of flash before taking on weddings.

<p>

However, we do not know the full story. The "next" wedding may be 6 months from

now or may be a free wedding for someone who would otherwise not be able to

afford a photographer.

</em>

<i>My question is, do you use flash outdoors as well? </i> <P>

The short answer is: definitely, especially at a wedding.<P>

Get Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book, which has an excellent section on shooting weddings, including the use of fill flash:<P>

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photography-Book-Scott-Kelby/dp/032147404X

<P>

Google for "fill flash weddings" or "fill flash techniques" and you will get dozens of useful links.

Panda eyes, too funny! Yeah flash outdoors controls shadows on the subject and is a must for any pro. I like available light and reflectors when possible but if you always count on it you'll lose. Also, if you have the option of choosing your light(evening or morning)flash gives you great control over subject/background exposure by varying shutter. You can darken or light a background as much as you want.

I refer you to the fill flash assignment we did some time back.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GFuJ

In it, pay attention to the quote from Marc Williams as to why we use fill flash. The whole topic is one that many beginning photographers find confusing and difficult to understand, but if you stick with it and learn the theory and basics, your images will definitely show the improvement in light handling. Even if you shoot most of your images with natural light, it helps to know this subject very well.

As for tips and tricks, there are some, but they don't really help except as a band-aid if you don't understand the above mentioned theory and basics.

The very best of the best pros are hardly ever using flash, so I would never say you must use it but I certainly do though I am using it less and less as I gain confidence.

I would say practice and practice by balancing the flash using compensation to match ambient and flash so that it looks like the flash was not used at all. TTL settings are usualy very accurate. You need to learn to use and lock your exposure reading from the camera and understand the tougher situations like strong backlighting and adjust your camera and compensation Reading books and learning the theory cold is smart and then go out and practice. I do think it is smart to learn where to have you subjects in the light without flash.

Yes I always consider using flash outside.. I use it generally as fill flash, which is really good at controling the lighting, especially when the sun is not working for you

Interestingly I also use the flash when the evening draws in. I take couples outside, into a clear area (grassy lawn is good) and then use on camera flash. This is great, as it is almost like shooting against a black background. You end up with nice isolated portraits, and group shots, that are quite sellable to the guests afterwards

I think it depends on what you want to do? Leave the flash on the camera but if you think the shot would look better in ambiant light then shut it off. If your doing portraits outside then leave it on for fill flash. If you are more traditional in you style then you would use it more outside if you want more of a PJ look you might opt not to shoot with it much and go for available light. Test both and see what you like also like I said leave the flash on the camera shot one with it on and one without...

hi anonymous - glad to provide feedback.

I personally don't use flash very much outdoors b/c I try to put the couple in open shade as much as possible.

that said, your flash has something called "ETTL", which is slang for 'very smart flash'. if you find your 'flash compensation' button on your camera and adjust flash compensation while working in manual mode, you will be able to figure out pretty quickly what your flash is capable of.

in my experience, when outdoors, you can shoot -2 to -1 ETTL flash for good fill flash results.

if not, go to manual flash mode and manual exposure mode. dial in a pleasing setting and you will be fine...

Fill flash is absolutely invaluable outdoors. On a nice overcast day you might get by without it, but if the light is harsh and the wedding is at noon (as many are!), you'll need the flash for fill. Use a diffuser to soften it some, but you don't necessarily want to use something like a lightsphere or a bounce card that's meant to be used with other means of bouncing the flash (ceiling, walls, etc.). I like to either use the diffuser that comes on the flash, or if you don't need a whole lot of power, a cutout piece of a milk jug gaff-taped over the end of the flash. The latter only works well if you're using manual flash/exposure though.

The best advice is to just play around when you're NOT being paid for it and see what works! There are lots of good ideas and much good advice here, so listen well and have fun playing around and learning. Instant gratification is the boon of digital photography, so assuming your 430EX is paired with any of canon's excellent digital bodies, just experiment and find something that works well with your style. Good luck and happy shooting!

• 1 year later...

I shoot almost all of my Senior Portraits outside and use flash on all of them. I use the Nikon flash on TTL. If it is a bright, sunny day, I leave it at full power (the shadows will need more fill), but if there are high clouds, I adjust the flash to -1 stop, and if it is a true overcast day, I reduce the flash to -2 stops.

The goal, of course, is to make the images appear as though you used no flash at all.