Does D200 ship with the box factory sealed in plastic wrap?

At the following site www.naturfotograf.com/D200_rev00.html#top_page ....the

person mentions "the camera came straight out of an unopened box with factory

sealing and thus had never been used before".

Well, I got my D200 camera body the other day without the factory sealed

plastic wrap around the box, and started wondering did I get a new unit, or

was it perhaps used by someone else or likely a demo model. The instructions

came still sealed in plastic wrap, the rear LCD screen has a peel off clear

film over the rear plastic LCD screen protector suggesting the camera is new

(but that is easy to put back on). However, the top LCD did not have the same

plastic film covering it (likely lost) which you expect to also be protected.

I would appreciate others telling me how they received their camera body, did

you get the camera body in a box factory sealed in plastic wrap or not?

What bothers me most is one store didn't have a Pentax k10d on display,so he

decided to open a fresh box and not only was he demonstrating its use, but he

also was firing off a quite a few shots with it. It didn't end there either,

and he later took 2 different lenses out of their box to demonstrate them,

later returning them to their boxes to sell to a unknowing customer. Obviously

I didn't buy from him and believe if you want to be in business, then you must

have a display model for each camera your selling (and not let the customer

accept the burden of wear and tear from demonstrations unless he is

compensated). New means just that, to me demo models are not new. If the

camera box is supposed to come factory sealed in plastic wrap, this guy is

going to see me going back for a refund.

It was purchased in Canada. Sometimes things are packaged differently for different markets.

Firstly i'd ask 1, Was it cheaper than a shop bought item? 2, is there anything wrong with the camera? if the answers are 1,yes and 2,no. then normally i'd say buying a perfectly good camera off the net and saving some money in the process then you've got a bargain and can use that hard earned cash for some decent glass..

however if the advertisement clearly stated

"the camera came straight out of an unopened box with factory sealing and thus had never been used before". Do you think that maybe the person meant that when they first received the camera it was delivered to them in an unopened box and subsequently unused.. just a thought..

If it was supposed to be a sealed box then i would not be happy with an opened box.I'd insist on a refund. Especially for such an item as the D200..

I have taken some chances buying from companies in different countries , there is a great deal of trust given to the seller and you must rely on accurate feedback of previous customers. I think you should tell the seller you will be leaving such feedback. there is nothing like the fear of bad publicity to spur them into action, it may also help to prevent this happening to the next person.

Regards, Vincent

The box was not plastic sealed. There was a poor cover over the LCD screen. Top screen had no cover.

I bought Palm Pilot screen covers and cut to fit top and back. There is some distortion, but they stick well and offer superior protection.

The store did have proper demo models.

Some place in the book is a page that shows how to acess the number of shutter actuations. I would give the page number, but I have trouble finding things in the book. Been thru it multiple times page by page.

Guys in camera shops have always and forever taken new equipment out of the package for

demo. It's really not an issue as long as it's sold in perfect condition and has the full

warranty. It would probably be too expensive for shops to buy expensive digital cameras to

have around just as demo models.

Thanks everyone, it looks like they come unsealed. Funny though, my friend bought a Fuji S5200 worth $250 and it was wrapped in plastic.

"Just out of curiosity, where did you get if from? "......I got it from Vistek in Toronto. I have bought many items from them and so I trusted them fully until I read the review on the D200 and the comment about it arriving in a sealed box, that kind of raised some doubts which now are resolved.

Van,

I had the same concerns when I got my Pentax K100D from

Beach Camera. Its was the kit package with both lens and body

in separate Pentax boxes within another Pentax labeled box. It

wasn't wrapped in plastic or sealed. Also some accessories like

the batteries and video cable were sealed in plastic with tape,

but the rest of the hardware and software CD weren't.

I called Pentax customer service and they confirmed the camera

body and lens aren't sealed with tape when leaving the factory,

so I didn't persue the issue any further. The camera takes

excellent pictures so that's good enough for me.

It was a bargain at $477 with included rebate and even a slightly

cheaper price has been quote here from others from the same

and other camera vendors a few weeks after my purchase. Doh!

Tim, as the price goes up for the product, so does my concern. I have had too many products that never worked right and were returned, put back on the shelf, and the next customer is the one that ends up confirming that the retailer really has a problem. Sometimes it goes back to the mfr, and sometimes it doesn't. In the end, the customer has wasted his time/gas and getting frustrated. Items from Walmart are no big deal, but the product is expensive you want the it in new condition including packaging. I had a big screen LCD TV delivered costing me over $6k, and it arrived without a box (it found out it was the demo). I also bought a high end radio for my van from BestBuy, and the first one installed was from a new box. However, it was defective, and when they worked on installing the second unit in the shop area, I happened to walk to the demo dept again, and voila .....they were putting in the demo model. A big hole was now in the wall where the radio was, and it was handled by thousands of people. Why should I pay full price fot that? I talked to the manager, told him take the unit out of my van and replace my original system, and give me my money back. I was ready to call the police. Switching products as new for old is fraud in my opinion.