Wedding pricing-programs

kariann

I just finished some engagement pictures for a couple who's wedding I'm

photographing in July. I met with them tonight to give them their proofs, and

they asked me about putting one of their pictures on their programs. I had

never thought of this, and so I didn't have a price for them. What would you

charge to give them limited copyrights to one picture for the front of their

programs? I think they are inviting 200-300 people. Thanks for your help.

I believe one would need some insight into your business model in order to give a good answer. For example, how much is the overall wedding package and what is included? Are you providing them any hi-resolution files from the wedding and/or engagement session? Are you planning on making a significant amount on reprints? Have you done 5 weddings or 500 weddings?<p>

Answers to such questions will determine if you should just give them the rights, or charge them some usage fee. If you want to get on their good side because you need the referrals, you may opt to give it for free. If you have a healthy business, you may want to charge them something in line with what you would typically charge for one or more prints (whatever that price may be). <p>

Also consider if you need to do any additional post-processing to prep the image and if you will be doing the printing/design or if they will. Keep in mind also that the image and the quality of the printing will be an indirect form of advertising and reflect good/bad on you.

kari - IMHO, this is a great opportunity. many clients will use files without asking and make them look horrible.

make sure that the image they use is the correct profile and maybe you can tell them that there is no fee if you can put a discreet logo at the bottom - this is a good marketing opportunity.

Thanks, Ian for your input. I charged them $895 for the overall wedding. I am including an album of 100 proofs at that price. I am not giving them any digital files from the wedding or engagement session, as I hope to make my profit on reprints. I am by no means a professional (it is not a full time job for me), but this is by far not my first wedding. (you can see my personal page on photo.net for some examples) My 4x6 is $5.00, so you're saying that's all I should charge them for rights to the one photo?

Conrad,

That's a good idea, too. I know you do this full time-I've been to your website before. What would the "correct profile" be, and how do I make sure the printers use the correct resolution? Thanks.

Ask them exactly what the printer needs and give it to them, YOU are getting paid to advertise yourself to all of the guests. Personally, I wouldn't charge anything, just give the file gladly to the printer.

Kari you said:"Thanks, Ian for your input. I charged them $895 for the overall wedding. I am including an album of 100 proofs at that price." Nice to know that another photographer along with myself has packages that are not 2500 images and does offer prints in an album.

That is a good price & package. I offer a mounted 11x14 with each package. Let the bride use the image, ask if they will put your name & # on back of program in exchange for copyright usage.

Kari - the profile depends. I'm going to guess that you need the sRGB profile, but ask the couple to talk to the printer. I think that most photolab printers that use the Fuji Frontier or Noritsu printers use sRGB high res JPG files.