12GB and 16GB CF cards from Sandisk

marcink

Hi,

I have a quick question about the maximum capacity of CF cards that Nikon D200 can support. I tried to

search for it but somehow I cannot get a clear answer, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

On another forum I found that 8GB is a maximum, however Sandisk web-site says that 12GB and 16GB

Extreme III CF cards are supported by D200 as well.

Anyone has any experience with those? Are they good for D200?

Thanks!

Marcin

With my Nikon L6 Nikon said in 2006 that it only holds a 1 gig card; mine accepts a 2 and 4 gig card also. I wonder if the experts really are aware of the firmware and hardware; or are just reading ancient spec like drones or dolts. They even emailed me a spec sheet showing the 1 gig limit; dated Sept 2006.

i'd stick with the maximums that Nikon gives you, since the use of any card not in their list of "approved" cards will void your warranty. if that happens and something goes wrong with your camera, good luck getting Nikon to foot the bill on service. but you are free to use whatever you wish, assuming your camera is compatible. Just be aware of those legal points.

jim

The camera warranty does not end if you use a card not in Nikon's tested list. They only say that it may not work.

In any case the warranty is 1 year only anyway. But if Nikon actually voided the camera warranty because Sandisk made a bigger card and the user tried it ... well, that would be very bad for the company's reputation.

On D200 with 8 GB card, and Shooting RAW (compressed RAW or not) +JPEG Large, you get perhaps few more than 300 pictures. Is that enough for your session? or for all day photo excursion ?

12 and 16 GB cards are welcome addition to busy photographer arsenal of tools.

Remember, shooting RAW may (or may not) save your day in case you get a dust, by shooting a dust reference picture BEFORE you clean your sensor. Take your chances and shoot JPEG only, you get many more pictures, but when you get a dust ?, your trade off - where you want to spend your time, in Photo-Shop, or elsewhere. Is your card large enough to accomodate RAW and JPEG ?

Thanks for comments.

I'm still waiting for Nikon response to my question.

regarding the list of "approved" cards (that Jim mentions) - the problem is that the only

such list I found on www.nikonusa.com is dated from December 2005! Probably it was

created right after D200 was released... and no update since then! I think it covers only

few 8GB cards (Sandisk Ultra II, not even Extreme III...) and one from Lexar. Since then, we

got 8GB, 12 and 16GB Extreme III and couple fo Extreme IV (none is included as approved),

so I thought it's time for Nikon to release the updated info.

Anyway, I agree with you that 8GB is more than enough to have on one card, and pobably

good idea is to have one of the portable data storages to make a backup of the files while

shooting.

Marcin

OK, I got the reply from Nikon. Here it is:

"Dear Marcin,

Nikon Japan is constantly testing cards, but this takes quite a while to complete. Once

they finnish there tests and give us the results we post them immidiately. But I will

definately suggest that we look into testing the larger cards over 4GB as they are

becoming so affordable now that most people will likely begin buying them and they will

become more mainstream. "

seems they are still testing the cards....

• 2 weeks later...

I use maximum 4gb lexars because I need reliability...however, when are you really likely to use 8gb or more of memory in a session or two..if you think about it, you would end up spending several hours sorting through them in photoshop or whatever before choosing any to use..

are you so uncertain that your results might not be that good in the first place ???

I think it is best to transfer/store your shots to a secure memory device when ever you get back. why would any one need 8gb or more on a single card ???