Canon 50 1.4 USM can not Auto Focus?

chong_xu

Hi I have a Canon 50 1.4 which I haven not dropped or anything, but recently sometimes it can not auto

focus. Whenever I try to focus it to a close or faraway object it stops autofocusing, seemingly stuck there

and most of the time twisting the focus ring a little bit will help it recover.

Manual focus works fine all time.

Anybody recognize the problem please help me out...

It is over 1 year warranty so I can not simply send it to Canon for fix. I dont know where else I could go

for a fix and how much it is gonna cost me Thanks a lot!

Last summer I was at Canon Hawaii's service center and the minimum charge was $150. So I

imagine you're looking at least 150 clams...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Not ever had a problem with the 50mm lenses, if anything they are the most trouble-free lenses I have, I got the 1.4 some time back, then the 1.2 and just recently I have managed to locate a 1.0, all are just great lenses, I would go with cleaning the contacts on the lenses and the camera, can not think of anything else, they are fairly bomb proof lenses.

The 50/1.4 is actually well-known to suffer from this problem- google and you shall know.

I have a 50/1.4 which decided to behave this way too. It occasionally autofocuses, never sent it in for repait though. If you get an estimate, do let us know.

Azi

Mine quit focusing altogether, AF or manual, and is on its way to Canon for an estimate. No trauma, it just quit in the middle of a shoot.

Question: does anyone else's 50/1.4 rattle if gently shaken? Mine rattled from new, but worked perfectly for 5 years.

My 50/1.4 quit autofocusing, too. No trauma. Didn't drop it. I didn't use it to cushion my fall from 2500 ft when my main chute failed to deploy. No rational explanation at all.

It's been a few months. There have definitely been times that I've missed it, but not as many as I thought there might be. I've heard lots of other issues with this particular lens, too. So I'm wondering if I'd be better served going with the 50/1.2L, instead.

Eric

Thanks everybody for answering.

Well, $150...at least I know I am not the only unlucky one now. Kind of hoped that it's just a minor problem that I could somehow fix since I didn't do anything to it, sigh.

James Colwell, thanks for recommending the cleaning of contacts. I tried it and didn't solve the problem...but thanks a lot anyway!

If anyone had luck solving the problem cheap please do let me know, thanks!

I recently dropped my 50 1.4, still in its Lowepro case, onto a carpeted floor and broke the focusing mechanism. I sent the lens to Canon Canada in Mississauga, Ontario and was charged C$270 for the fix - approximately half the price of a new lens.

The lens was not fixed in-house at Canon. The return shipping label shows it came from Sun Camera Service in Toronto. Sun Camera's website (http://suncameraservice.ca/index.htm) says, "Sun Camera is the primary photo, digital and video repair center for Canon Canada in Ontario and parts of Quebec as well as a national depot of choice for Future Shop/Best Buy Ltd and Henry's."

My lens is now working well and I have no complaints about the workmanship. However, when the lens was returned I received no documentation or receipt explaining what was done to the lens. For my own records, interest in what I paid for and protection in case the repair fails within the next few months, I'll have to go after Canon Canada for some kind of documentation.

All these reports of failed AF mechanisms in this kludgy microUSM 50/1.4 over the years are why I won't buy one. And the 50/1.2L just isn't worth the price for the amount of use I'd give it.

I'll continue to get by with my excellent (if buzzy) 50/2.5 CM until Canon decides to put true ring USM into the 50/1.4 (or /1.6, /1.8, whatever).

Mine just packed up as well - sending it to canon this week for repair.

$93 was the standard rate quoted - but they reserve the right to crank that cost up once they get a look at it.

Again no trauma - it just quit working - both AF and MF.

Sounds like a design defect - which stinks as it's a lovely lens to use.

I'm on my third and last one of these lenses. The AF quit on the other two for no particular reason. When this one quits, I have a 50/1.8 in the original version on the shelf waiting to replace it. Canon should have owned up to this years ago and redesigned the AF mechanism of this lens.

Sand can ruin almost anything, but you don't need sand to stop the AF on the 50/1.4 from working. By now it's a very well-known problem, and is associated with the unique design of the 50/1.4 which is the only non-ring-USM lens that allows full-time manual focusing. The mechanism is plastic and under-specified, and collapses at the slightest provocation. How do I know? The technician at Fixation in London explained it to me when I had my own 50/1.4 sorted out.