Wildlife photography in Florida, Late September, - where to go?

mattias_rondolph

Hi!

Just came across here and signed up, when I saw the forum thread

for "Locations - Florida".

I'm heading over to the states from europe in late september, and have a few

days before my frinds arrive and are planning to spend that time wildlife with

photography.

I?m interessted in all suggestions and information I can get, for what to find

and where, in florida. Snakes, amfibians, mammals and of course birds.

I will probably build my tirp aroud what I get from here, planning on being in

Florida around 25 of September to 5 of October for photography before I head to

South Carolina. I?m arriving in Miami, and are of courese happy for quality

sites in that area, but I, at the same time prefer to be at a good place, even

if it involves some travel, so more r ess all quality wildlife site in Florida

state is of interesst.

Many Thanks in advance. /Mattias

Shark valley, indeed. Great place. You might want to pack in a good deal of water too. The trail is a 14 mile loop, I believe. It's quite a hike. Beautiful area.

Attached is a photo I took with my el-cheapo digital in December of 2006. The trees in the distance are a hardwood hammock, and you can see a bit of a rainstorm ahead. The bird is a blue heron if I recall. The camera did most of the 'editing' for me...really weird looking original because of the pan and exposure. All I did was pop the contrast. Someday I should take the original into PS and do some editing.

Anywhere in the glades including Anhinga Trail. Even though Anhinga Trail is always packed it is slam full of life. To the west of the glades is Big Cypress, very nice. The canals along Alligator Alley. In North Floida you have Apalachicola, Ocala and Osceola National Forest, taking a ride down a forest road can yeild a coral snake or diamondback. A bit more north is the Okeefenokee, I think it is still burning as we speak. That could produce some interesting photos by September. Just east of Okee is Cumberland Island, great place. If you are going to spend time in SC you got Francis Marion NF, Bulls Bay, Four Holes, Congaree NP, Webb DNR in Hampton Co. Santee & the Sandhills NWR. I am sure I missed something, just make sure you see the Everglades, it is amazing.

If you want to photograph critters I dont think there is any better place in the US than the coastal plain of SC, Ga, and Fla. Have fun.